Respected Contributor

Re: Just curious...Occupation?

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@MarthaStewardess 

I laughed when I read about getting your wings.

In my youth, I interviewed with American, and the job application asked you to list your maximum weight in the last 5 years.  I was honest and put down 136.  I was 5' 6" (and still am).   At the time, I weighed 130.

They turned me down.  The interviewers said, "those are slim aisles and we need slim girls."  I never forgot it!

Perhaps there were other reasons, but they specifically told me it was about weight.  This was 1969, so things were much different.

As it turns out, I hate flying, so maybe it was best. Cat LOL

When I first started flying in the mid 80s, you were weighed and measured.  They don't do that in the US anymore.  

Respected Contributor

@BrandiDavis 

What a wonderful new thread you created!

What a variety of fabulous lives people have led!

Valued Contributor

@1Professor  tysm! I was honestly just curious and I'm also so glad I started it, b/c I've learned some pretty cool things!!

~ Hope in TN ~
Respected Contributor

@BrandiDavis wrote:

@1Professor  tysm! I was honestly just curious and I'm also so glad I started it, b/c I've learned some pretty cool things!!

@BrandiDavis :

As I urge my students,

stay curious!

wheremagichappens.jpg

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

My first job at age 16 was with a locally owned small supermarket.  There I learned to count back change, count down a drawer, and pack up groceries.

From there I went to work for a family-owned, one hundred year old manufacturer of beekeeping supplies and candles.  I learned to make poured sanctuary candles there, then later moved up to the office.  I was put to work on a National Cash Register Bookkeeping machine, where I posted payments to accounts for the company and its 9 branch offices.

I got married, had a baby, and after a year, went to work part-time at a womens fashion retail chain at the mall (Maurices).  I did the daily books there, as well as merchanding, selling, and doing displays high up near the ceiling in shadow boxes. 

I worked at Maurices for 13 years, then followed a manager to a different store in the mall, a family-owned fine jewelry company.  I worked in fine jewelry for 4 years.

At 42, I went to work for a podiatrist, scheduling appointments, transcribing patient notes, filing insurance (Medicare) and posting the payments. I did that for 19 years.

For the last 15 months, I worked as a temporary employee for an international manufacturer of plant-based starches and sweeteners, in the accounts receivable department. 

This was a very interesting position, posting payments for our customers who are nationally known cosmetic companies, food and candy companies, petfood companies, large animal food companies, sugar suppliers, and pharmaceutical companies. I posted millions and millions of dollars in payments for them. 

I met people from all over the world through this job and I enjoyed the multi-culturalism there. 

I just retired "again" one week ago and will be 65 in February.  I also was a college drop-out.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you, everyone, for sharing!

You can do it, @BrandiDavis !

I love teaching college music! I’ve taught at every economic & grade level, but love college best! After 11 years, I am still tweaking the courses and still learning myself. I also teach music to my daughter’s three ruckuses, whom she homeschools.

I’ve had so many jobs along the way beginning at age 13: waitress, bank teller/trainer (right out of h.s.), secretary in a law office, piano teacher, fabric store clerk, church organist/choir director – some part-time in order to pay for my education.

There were some major interruptions in my own college experience. But so what if it took me a little longer and I was a little late getting out of the gate! Teaching was always what I wanted to do and was good at. Actually, I am good at whatever I undertake. That integrity was instilled in me, especially by my mother. It’s great to apply all my work skills to what I do today.