Trusted Contributor

Just Returned from Grocery Store

The local Pick 'N Save had tp, paper towels, facial tissue, but no bleach.  I do use a little bleach in my whites load of laundry.   So I'll have to check somewhere else.  The store was very busy but a lot of people were using self-check out.  Lots of good fruit and vegetables, but they were out of fresh strawberries-----they were on sale 2/$5 so that is probably why.  

I was amazed how many people were not wearing a mask.  Gloves-------well, you can always wash your hands, but not wearing a mask was baffling.  There were some of us wearing masks, but I would say more were not wearing them.  

I don't think people still realize how serious this is.  And, this is not over by any stretch of the imagination.  They must not listen to the news or else they just think it won't happen to them.  

I immediately use a Germ-X wipe when I get into the car, wipe my debit card, wipe the little "member" tags, the key to the car, the fob, the steering wheel, the door handle, etc.  

I got enough groceries that I probably won't go out for about two weeks, or if I do it will be a quick in and out for bread and produce.

How are the grocery stores in your area?

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Respected Contributor

Re: Just Returned from Grocery Store

Hey @wismiss  ~

I went today to do a little shopping, as I had to pick up Rx's at the Pharmacy there anyway. 

OMG!  No shopping for me.  The line to check out was wrapped to the back of the store.  I didn't even try to get anything but the Rx's.

One way isles, and they were blocked at the front with the people to check out.  It was beyond crazy/sad...And I felt bad for all of those that "had" to get some groceries in order to eat.  Smiley Sad

I was thankful that I could wait for another time.  

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Respected Contributor

@wismiss 

I used to have a lot of those loyalty cards in my purse....downloaded an app called Keyring and took pictures of each card with my cellphone, even took pictures of the backs when they had print on them.

one less thing to carry around and nowadays, to wipe off !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Trusted Contributor

@jlkz, I'll have to check into that.  Sure would lighte the key ring.  And, be less germs.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Every two weeks I online order then drive up / pick up at our grocery store. Works out well. Usually about $30.00 is knocked off my total because they couldn't fulfil order. I find those items other places or just let it go. I do like drive-up service and will continue after this season. 

If we run out of milk or basics, I hop into our full service gas station and get gas while I'm there. Quick in and quick out -- that's why it's a Quick Trip. See what I did there? (sorry - get goofy when I'm tired)

Sprout has been my 'go to' place for fruits and veggies and organic soups and items. It's small, not crowded and they count people in the store and wipe carts in front of you. Shelves are full, except for rice. Cashiers are so nice. 

Popped into Walgreens today for the first time since end of February. Running low on housekeeping items and hey, just five others and me in the store. Got what I needed. Also found baby wipes and TP. Walgreen's cashier gave me a purse-size bottle of germ X just for shopping with them. Nice. 

That's Pee Wee's big adventure for this week. Sun is supposed to shine tomorrow. I may even take a walk. Yay

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

I found the opposite experience at my favorite local grocery (Dierberg's) today in the St. Louis area. The store was semi-busy, but no more than 2 or 3 in each line to check out (there wasn't a common line to wait in). The majority of shoppers were wearing masks, in fact I remember seeing only a young couple without masks, and a middle age woman without one.

Canned soups were in short supply, although the shelves weren't empty. Very few cleaning products were available, but there were off-brands of paper towels and a lot of single wrapped rolls of TP. Meat products were plentiful and the deli and dairy products looked pretty much like normal times!

I'm staying away from our local WM stores after a bad experience about 6 weeks ago. My local grocers have smaller stores and prices are a little higher, but I don't mind. Parking is easier and it's where I always buy meat products anyway. Even Sam's was a mistake when I went there last Monday.

Honored Contributor

I am only ordering my groceries online. Has worked very well so far. I had to go into Albertsons to get my meds and was amazed to see only one other person wearing a mask besides me and the pharmacist. SIL who is a dr. said to skip the gloves. You are just touching dirty surfaces and collecting all the germs from each surface, then putting them all onto your wallet, etc when you pay. I just put Clorox wipes on handles of the shopping cart I take over to the pharmacy.
Esteemed Contributor

Only been in 1 small locally owned grocery in the last month to pick up a few odds and ends. No more than 10 minutes in and out. Been using Target run for forgotten pantry items and WM pickup when necessary. Was at Walgreens drive thru to pick up a 'script two weeks ago.

There is a small locally owned bulk store where I can get baking supplies. I cook and bake, keep a deep pantry and freezer because I live rural so all this is nothing new to me.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been to our local HyVee twice in the last week.  They are almost fully stocked now.  I got Lysol spray and wipes--a major score!  They also advertised on Facebook that they had masks and sanitizer (which was why I ran in the second time.)  And they had a decent supply of toilet paper and paper towels.  I don't eat meat so not sure if shortages there or not.

Oh and most all of our grocery stores have people wiping down all the carts.

I am feeling way less anxious now that I can get stuff when I need it.

If you can dream it you can do it--Walt Disney
Respected Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

Only been in 1 small locally owned grocery in the last month to pick up a few odds and ends. No more than 10 minutes in and out. Been using Target run for forgotten pantry items and WM pickup when necessary. Was at Walgreens drive thru to pick up a 'script two weeks ago.

There is a small locally owned bulk store where I can get baking supplies. I cook and bake, keep a deep pantry and freezer because I live rural so all this is nothing new to me.

Please stay out of the stores !  The news said people are not spreading 6 feet apart and these places are incubators for the virus.  Many metallic surfaces (handles on coolers and freezers, aisles are made of metal and people using coins). The virus is sticking to metallic surfaces for up to 14 days.  I would if possible use a delivery service like I do.  I wouldnt riskj going into any store. Not worth it.