Esteemed Contributor

PLEASE DISREGARD THIS POST AND SEE POST #7 BY KRIMPETTE FOR ACCURATE INFORMATION.

MEA CULPA.

A reminder.

July 4, 2020 (the legal public holiday for Independence Day), falls on a Saturday. For most Federal employees, Friday, July 3, will be treated as a holiday for pay and leave purposes.

The post office will not have regular delivery on Friday; UPS will.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

This is confusing.  I just read someting where there will be mail delivery on Friday, but not on Saturday.  I'm confused!

Respected Contributor

@Marp @Krimpette There will be mail delivery tomorrow, not on Saturday.  From the USPS site:

Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 1.50.19 PM.png

Honored Contributor

@Marp  I’m not a Federal employee but I’ve got tomorrow off, too. I think a lot of us do. Paid days off never get old for me!

Esteemed Contributor

@Marp 

Hello my friend!

As a former Federal employee, and working at the agency that tracked Federal holidays, I cannot tell you how many calls we would get asking "what day do we get off."

You'd think Federal employees would have it figured out Cat LOL

Thankfully, since I'm retired, every day is a holiday!

Esteemed Contributor

@Linmo wrote:

@Marp @Krimpette There will be mail delivery tomorrow, not on Saturday.  From the USPS site:

Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 1.50.19 PM.png

@Linmo,  immediately below the chart is the following explanation of the astrisk next to July 4:

* : July 4, 2020 (the legal public holiday for Independence Day), falls on a Saturday. For most Federal employees, Friday, July 3, will be treated as a holiday for pay and leave purposes.

Honored Contributor

Re: July 3, 2020

[ Edited ]

@Marp  Here's what I read:

Is the Post Office Open on July 3rd, 2020?

4th of July falls on a Saturday which makes things extra confusing this year. Because it falls on a weekend, some organizations will observe Independence Day on July 3rd this year. For example, government offices and libraries will be closed on Friday, July 3rd. Those that are typically open on July 4th, such as some libraries, will also close on July 4th.

That said, post offices have opted to observe the federal holiday only on the actual day this year. They will be closed on 4th of July. However, they will be open regular hours on July 3rd, 2020.

As we explained in our Memorial Day post, it’s atypical for the post office holiday schedule to differ from that of the federal holiday calendar. However, the fact that the post office typically operates on Saturdays, while the other government offices do not, means that it differs this year. Instead of closing on the 3rd like those business, the post office opted to remain open and observe only the official date.

Respected Contributor

@Marp The * is a footnote for postal employees.  Some will have Friday off and some will have Saturday off, depending on their duties:

Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 2.05.28 PM.png

(Sorry about the small print.)

Esteemed Contributor

@Krimpette.  clearly we were looking at different sources and I can't tell you how happy I am with yours.

I found it hard to imagine no mail from Thursday until Monday, especially when I'm awaiting something important.

Thank you for clarifying.

Honored Contributor
We are having mail delivery on Friday but not Saturday. @Marp I think the last sentence in your first post is very misleading.