Trusted Contributor

Joy Miracle Clean- hazardous?

[ Edited ]

I still haven’t gotten mine but am concerned by all the talk on the HSN Community boards. People are getting sick & are saying the smell is toxic. If you ordered this you might want to check out the comments on their Community. There are several threads about it.

The active ingredient Thymol sounds dangerous. Sista 863 on HSN Community shared this about Thymol:

Thymol is a mild local irritant. It resembles phenol in its systemic actions but is less toxic, partly because it is less soluble. It produces gastric pain, nausea, vomiting, central hyperactivity (eg, talkativeness), occasionally convulsions, coma, cardiac and respiratory collapse.

Joy was talking about using it as an air freshener, spraying on pillows, etc... They’re saying the scent lingers & they have to air the house out to get rid of it. I’m not sure I even want to open mine. 

Interested in in hearing from those that have gotten theirs. Have you tried it? 

Occasional Contributor

Re: Joy Miracle Clean- hazardous?

Yes!  I ordered two sets and just got them yesterday.  If my husband hadn't thrown away the boxes (he never takes them out that fast!!),  I would have sent them back.  The smell is absolutely awful.  I bought the linen and the orange.  Can't tell the difference between them other than the bad smell of both.  Haven't even tried to clean with them because of the ordor.  What a waste of $$$$   Will not buy any more of "Joy" 's  stuff.  Way toooooo much talk/promises of product.  Total bummer.

Trusted Contributor

@Secky Bue

Those are the 2 scents I ordered. I wouldn’t let the boxes stop you from returning. Just use a different box- grocery stores usually have boxes they’ll give you. I hear HSN will waive the return cost if you contact them. 

Respected Contributor

I agree.  Got the "Fresh Linen" a few days ago.  Couldn't believe the awful fumes and smell.

If my linens smelled anything like that, my linens would be discarded in the trash bin.

I sprayed some in my stainless steel kitchen sink, let it sit for a while, ran an extensive rinse using the faucet sprayer.  Couldn't get within two feet of that sink later without still smelling the stuff.  

Didn't notice the sink being any cleaner or more polished than when other cleaning methods have been used.

Perhaps Joy has not smelled her own product after it has been shipped to her customers.  Otherwise, she would never honorably make the claims she made during the TV presentation.

Maybe the product has sat too long in hot warehouses and delivery trucks and arrived chemically changed in some way?

Respected Contributor

OMG!  I ordered two sets of these and will probably get them on Mon.  I am shocked about this info.  The only reason I bought them was because she kept stressing that they were completely chemical free and can be sprayed anywhere including around pets.  After reading this, plus how horrible it actually smells, I am going to return them ASAP.  Thanks for posting this info.

Trusted Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

I agree.  Got the "Fresh Linen" a few days ago.  Couldn't believe the awful fumes and smell.

If my linens smelled anything like that, my linens would be discarded in the trash bin.

I sprayed some in my stainless steel kitchen sink, let it sit for a while, ran an extensive rinse using the faucet sprayer.  Couldn't get within two feet of that sink later without still smelling the stuff.  

Didn't notice the sink being any cleaner or more polished than when other cleaning methods have been used.

Perhaps Joy has not smelled her own product after it has been shipped to her customers.  Otherwise, she would never honorably make the claims she made during the TV presentation.

Maybe the product has sat too long in hot warehouses and delivery trucks and arrived chemically changed in some way?

@novamc1

That is what others mentioned in the HSN Community. Hard to believe Joy would sell something that smells so awful. And get the Good Housekeeping seal of approval? But if she sold hundreds of thousands maybe she doesn’t care. How many will just trash it & not bother to return it? 

Respected Contributor

After reading this, I just called CS at HSN.  I told them about the many complaints and more importantly, the misleading information she gave that it was totally chemical free when it is not.  She said she noted this on my account and will NOT charge me the return shipping and will report what I said.  So if you call CS, and they are very, very helpful, you will not be charged for return shipping. 

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I bought two sets, and heven't even opened one yet, and then started reading all the comments last night on the HSN forum.  

First thought was how bad could the smell be, worst than pine sol lol  Then read on people were coughing, gaging, couldn't get the smell off themselves, or in the house.

She might have a big ol law suit the way some of the posters reacted to it.  

I guess the base is a strong scent of Thyme.  I hate Thyme almost more than I hate pine sol.

I should have known beter with her.  She stood up in front of America, and said it was a very light scent.  

We all know these hosts lie about sizing, or whetever, but not when it could possibly have an affect on someone's health.  She may have crossed the line.

Back they go after I call CS.  

Thamks for posting about this.

Respected Contributor

I was tempted to order but I’ve been disappointed by Joy’s products over and over. 

Have sent back her makeup box. Have eaten the cost of her steamer, air fresheners. Her hangers are 👍🏿, nothing else for me.

Trusted Contributor

I received the orange blossom.  I don't smell the scent and like a lot of people it's a disgusting and lingering smell.  I was so disappointed, but going to send it back (my postage was waived by customer service).  I have it on auto ship and I guess I'll cancel that.  If and when this products improves, I'd like to try it again.  I sure would like an explanation from HSN.