Honored Contributor

Mount St. Helens in WA State

[ Edited ]

Erupted 39 years ago today, in 1980.  57 people were killed or missing.

Speaking of which, I have a ring I bought from QVC years ago made out of Mt. St. Helens ashes - it looks like an emerald.  QVC sold jewelry from Mt. St. H. for many years.

Does anyone here live near it and remember the eruption firsthand?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mount St. Helens in WA State

I remember the news. Our aunt lived in Renton (?) so we watched with interest. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

I don't live near it, @Pearlee but my former husband had a colleague who was killed on the mountain by that eruption.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I don't know much about Washington state.  My best friend's son (he's like my adopted son) lives on an island in Washington State.  You have to take a ferry to get there.  He lives there with his partner and their animals. He also owns a house in Seattle that he rents out (Airbnb).

My daughter and friends all went to his wedding last year.  They got married on the island.  My daughter said it was amazing, like out of a movie.  She said as the preacher was marrying them wales and seals were out in the water backdrop!

I could never live in Washington state.  I need some sunshine.  I'll just stay here in Va.  I complain but at least we have a good amount of sunshine.  Check back with me in August.  Humidity here in Northern Va/DC area in August so bad it makes your hair stand up straight.

@Pearlee You thinking of moving there?  I hear it's beautiful.

Honored Contributor

I'm in Colorado and I remember having seen white ash on everything here when that eruption happened. All the cars looked so dusty. At the time I was shocked at how far the cloud had travelled. Now I know why and how that can happen. Eruptions can be disastrous.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66   No I'm not thinking of moving there.  Why on earth would you even think that?   Just because I posted this thread?   I'm just amazed it was almost 40 years ago that happened - time goes by so fast.

Post about something happening in WA doesn't mean I'm thinking of moving there.

Honored Contributor

OMG! @Pearlee !!  Calm down!  I was just asking you.  Hummm?? You remind me of someone I eat with every day.  We get along quite well...because she tolerates me and I ....well....

Honored Contributor

I will say that Puget Sound is gorgeous with a unique state-run ferry system. 

It is a very pretty state. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

A friend's parents lived in Vancouver, which is about 60-65 miles from Mount St. Helens. I remember it very well.

Edited to add: And now I'm sorry I even answered this. Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

OMG! @Pearlee !!  Calm down!  I was just asking you.  Hummm?? You remind me of someone I eat with every day.  We get along quite well...because she tolerates me and I ....well....

@Annabellethecat66   You make a lot of erroneous assumptions. I am perfectly calm, and was when I posted to you.   I just thought your question was wacky, but I was pefectly calm when I posted.