Honored Contributor

I have friends (more like acquaintances) who live on leverage.   They all think I'm "cheap".........................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I actually had heard this a while ago. He spends money like it is water! Like Oprah said, always know where your money is going and sign your own checks......It sounds like Johnny is too frivilous and careless with his money. He needs to sell some of his residences, and cut out the staff unless he is staying there. That will free up some cash..He also probably needs to get rid of his manager and accountant and hire new. Crazy that he was worth that much money and now???? It sounds like some of those people who would win the lottery and within 5 years they wre broke, buying 5 house, and 7 cars, and taking 10 vacations a year,etc.....The money won't last forever living like that! I have always liked Johnny Depp, and I think he is a good actor, but he needs some money management advice!  

Honored Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

Where did the 400 Million go?

I have no idea what you are talking about, since the only thing I have read on this is your thread title.   Why don't you tell people what the heck you are talking about by posting some documentation?   I haven't a clue and I'm sure a lot of other people don't either.

So maybe I should just make something up: OK - the $400 million is in the Caymon Islands.  

Calm down, here's a link one of the hundreds out there..........

https://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/2017/05/johnny-depp-is-broke-heres-what-he-spent-his-money-on/

ROFL

Respected Contributor

I think his definition of broke is probably different than mine.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

@truffle wrote:

I can't believe a fifth Pirates of the Carribean is due out later this month.  Same cast of characters but this time with Paul McCartney as a jail guard.  Sure to be popular with all the kiddies that's for sure.  Did he get paid already for doing that movie?  

Not sure, some stars take points against the box office gate as opposed to wages up front.......

Sir Alec Guinness, negotiated to take a % of the box office sales of the First Star Wars in 1977 for his role of Obi-Wan Kenobi.  All others in the film were unknown so his higher salary and the sales helped to make him a rich man.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

It is said he spends $2M a month including $35,000 for personal wine consumption and owns and maintains 17 residences all with full staff.  Won't fly in anything but his own executive jet.  When his accounts get low he claims he's being robbed.  Sounds as though he's the problem. 

His own executive jet is the least of his problems.

Respected Contributor

@truffle wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

Where did the 400 Million go?

Lots of stories out there about him squandering his money. Can't blame this one on Amber. Smiley LOL

Johnny Depp spent $3 million to blast Hunter Thompson’s ashes out of a cannon. He spent $18 million on an 150-foot yacht. He spent $4 million on a failed record label. He spent $30,000 a month on wine, $200,000 a month on private planes, $150,000 a month on round-the-clock security, and $300,000 a month to maintain a staff of 40 people.

https://variety.com/2017/biz/news/johnny-depps-lavish-spending-financial-ruin-tmg-lawsuit-1201974792...

spend thrift-there ya' go.

Honored Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

@truffle wrote:

I can't believe a fifth Pirates of the Carribean is due out later this month.  Same cast of characters but this time with Paul McCartney as a jail guard.  Sure to be popular with all the kiddies that's for sure.  Did he get paid already for doing that movie?  

Not sure, some stars take points against the box office gate as opposed to wages up front.......

@SydneyH

Historically, this has turned out to be a VERY bad idea unless the star is one of the executive producers and is involved in financing and making decisions, as opposed to just memorizing lines and showing up for work.   

There are countless stories of "Hollywood creative accounting" where the star ends up with practically nothing for making the film.   They worked for scale plus "percentage points" of the profits.   The cagey producers keep spending on this and that, and the movie just breaks even, so there are no profits, and no points paid out.   They got screwed.

Years ago, a (now) very well known actor worked just for points, the movie grossed well over $400 million, yet on the final accounting statements it showed that the movie lost money!      He got nothing.

This is why actors are much more likely to ask for all their money up front, so whether or not the film makes money, they get what their negotiated contract said they would get.   People complain that actors make millions and are seriously overpaid, yet they really have no idea that the producers make even more  ... with blockbusters sometimes 5 to 10 times more than the actors!    

Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

I'm more interested in where my 400 million is.

Probably hiding out with my $400 million! When we find them, they are going to be in big trouble mister!

@RoughDraft

Trusted Contributor

Re: Johnny Depp ~ Broke?

[ Edited ]

@Deanie wrote:

What I have read indicates that he is broke.  He has little knowledge of earnings vs profit, taxes, expenses and costs.  He has spent lavishly on art, real estate, boats etc.  He is accusing his managers (sounds like Nicholas Cage) of mismanagement and suing them. There is some discussion on the finer points of the legal and ethical issues of managers acting as lawyers and vice versa. As of now, he can not make his debt payments and is liquidating assets.

Funny, you mention Nicholas Cage because if it wasn't for him, Johnny would not have a career. Nicholas was supposed to go on the try outs for 21 Jump Street, but couldn't due to another commitment...so his room mate..Johnny..went instead.

I don't believe that he is broke, I do believe that he has spent a lot of money on stuff he doesn't need, and he has been mismanaged.

I just read an article the other day, where he has a massive art collection, and owns a lot of real estate properties worth millions. I don't call that broke.

But if he does become homeless, he can move in with me. Glad to have him.