Honored Contributor

John Singleton, the first African-American to be nominated for an Oscar for Best Director and the youngest person to be nominated in that category, died after a massive stroke that left him in a coma. Early today his family made the decision to take him off life support.

From Huffington:

Singleton had been in a coma since the April 17 stroke, his mother said in court documents last week while seeking to become a temporary conservator who could make medical and financial decisions on his behalf.

Earlier Monday, his family made the decision to take him off life support, Singleton’s representative said.

Singleton, a Los Angeles native, was best known for his 1991 debut “Boyz n the Hood.” That film made him the youngest person to receive a nomination for the Best Director Oscar, and the first African American.

The then-24-year-old earned critical acclaim for his depiction of African Americans in south central Los Angeles, and the film was released just one year after he graduated the University of Southern California’s acclaimed film program.

Singleton went on to direct “Shaft” (2000), a revival of the 1971 cult classic; “2 Fast 2 Furious” (2003) and “Four Brothers” (2005). He also helped elevate other black filmmakers and stars.

More recently, he directed episodes of several FX shows, including “Empire” and “American Crime Story,” as well as BET’s “Rebel” and HBO’s “Billions.” He also created and executive produced FX’s “Snowfall,” a series about the crack epidemic in 1980s Los Angeles. Its third season is set to premiere later this year.

Singleton is survived by his parents, Sheila Ward and Danny Singleton, and seven children: Justice, Maasai, Hadar, Cleopatra, Selenesol, Isis and Seven.

Singleton’s family said in a statement that he had hypertension, which disproportionately affects African Americans, and that it “wants to share the message with all to please recognize the symptoms by going to Heart.org.”

Filmmakers mourned his death, including Oscar winner Jordan Peele and “Love and Basketball” director Gina Prince-Bythewood.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

How sad for his family.  We never know when the last day will be.

Honored Contributor

R.I.P.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

How 😞 sad. He was so talented and still so young.  Hopefully his passing will save others lives by  people getting screened and keeping their blood pressure in check. 

Honored Contributor

Very sad, rest in peace 

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Respected Contributor

This is sad news...I thought he was getting better then saw the family decided to take him off of life support. Prayers for the family!

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is inappropriate

Valued Contributor

@GAQShopr53 wrote:

This is sad news...I thought he was getting better then saw the family decided to take him off of life support. Prayers for the family!

@GAQShopr53 It depended on whose side of the story you heard, his Mom vs (one of) his daughter.  Unfortunately it looks like it's gonna get really ugly now that he has passed.  For the sake of his legacy I hope that the family can come together and resolve their differences.  

R.I.P. John Singleton.

Honored Contributor

I'm so saddened by this news.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Super Contributor

Heartbreaking!Woman Sad  This makes me so sad.