Honored Contributor

While this is great news, it doesn't change my daily prayers for positive change. I am happy for all those who are working again!

Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

2.5 million jobs added to the economy in May!  

@esmerelda    That figure is misleading considering the millions that were lost in March and April.  We're still deeply in the hole.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Any jobs improvement helps but please remember: parttime, no sick or annual leave, no benefits.  We need to do much, much better!

Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

Any jobs improvement helps but please remember: parttime, no sick or annual leave, no benefits.  We need to do much, much better!

Thank you this is what I am saying. Just saying "more jobs" means nothing if they are not good jobs with all the benefits you just mentioned.  This is not being a downer it's just being realistic.

Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

The big question is are they good paying jobs?  Can people pay their bills without working 2 or 3 jobs?

Are they new jobs?

I think these are jobs people are going back to as more businesses reopen.

A couple of weeks ago, I applied for a newly created teaching position and was offered the job within an hour after I did the Zoom interview.  It will pay about $2000/year more than my other job.  I realize this may not be typical or part of the statistics, but I am so grateful and excited for this opportunity.

Congrats!  I bet you are excited.  I would be!

But yes, I was only asking about the job stats being related to businesses reopening, which apparently some here think means that I am not "happy".  I am happy for anyone getting back to work being one of those people who will be soon.

Lots of new jobs would be great, too, but I don't think that's what happening right now.

Honored Contributor

Seems like it's enough to make the stock market happy.  At least it's better news than we've had in recent times.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@esmerelda    That figure is misleading considering the millions that were lost in March and April.  We're still deeply in the hole.

@Kachina624 

You're such a Debbie Downer.

Respected Contributor

From the National Review:

"The Bureau of Labor Statistics said that the unemployment rate fell partly because states have begun to reopen businesses that were shuttered to enforce social distancing measures. Businesses that saw job gains included restaurants, construction, healthcare and retail, while airline and hotel jobs continued to fall."

It sounds like these aren't "new" jobs so much as restored positions in firms that are reopening. Nothing earth-shattering unless you expected them to staff up on fumes.

Look for adjustments up and down by fall as marginal firms that  were not fiscally healthy go out of business for good, and entrepreneurs who devise innovative strategies for doing business safely become successful. Everywhere I look I see opportunities for smart products, techniques, and business models. I swear I come up with a new invention every time I'm in a store. It'd be scary to be young now, but I'd be wearing out a 3D printer, making prototypes, if I were!

Honored Contributor

W@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@Kachina624 

You're such a Debbie Downer.

Why is anyone a downer when they try to talk reality.  

Esteemed Contributor

At this point, I welcome any positive economic news! The past few months has been so dismal, I had to tune it out!😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖