Honored Contributor

@sunshine 919 wrote:

W@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

2.5 million jobs added to the economy in May!  

@esmerelda    That figure is misleading considering the millions that were lost in March and April.  We're still deeply in the hole.

@Kachina624 

You're such a Debbie Downer.

Why is anyone a downer when they try to talk reality.  

@sunshine 919 

I was being facetious.

I have been called a Debbie Downer for my reactions to the "great news" posted on this board recently.

I also think of myself as a realist.  

Respected Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

we really do need some good news; we have a 13.6% unemployment, the highest during the recession was 10.2% and it got down to 4.6% in January 2017.

We still have a long way to go.

Honored Contributor

Would some prefer that NO JOBS are coming back?

It's obvious when businesses are reopening that there would be job increases again.  Whether new jobs or a return to jobs that were lost or put on hold during the shut down, it's still a step forward.

Being optimistic and hopeful is a step in the right direction; that is the reality, not the negativity.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

@sunshine 919 wrote:

W@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@esmerelda    That figure is misleading considering the millions that were lost in March and April.  We're still deeply in the hole.

@Kachina624 

You're such a Debbie Downer.

Why is anyone a downer when they try to talk reality.  

Agree with Kachina624 positivity is a  good thing☺️ 
It was refreshing today to see things starting to look up

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

It's obvious when businesses are reopening that there would be job increases again.  Whether new jobs or a return to jobs that were lost or put on hold during the shut down, it's still a step forward.

Being optimistic and hopeful is a step in the right direction; that is the reality, not the negativity.

Some will find fault with the sun coming up in the morning.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

What some are missing is the significance of the fact that professional economic observers, the 'experts' we look to, tend to figure in all factors, and yet still, predicted that the unemployment rate would be almost 20% for May.  

Instead, it is 13.3%,  stilll a whopping pandemic-induced number compared to our pre-Covid economy, but it is gob-smacking all the economists who forecasted far worse numbers.  Look at all the predictions they were making yesterday, compared to the actual reality of today.

That is what we celebrate-- we've defied expectations-- even informed expectations-- and that's excellent news.

Honored Contributor

Economy will continue to improve and markets will continue to see gains. This is wonderful news. There will always be those who try to find negativity in good news because they want to see things fail. Sad, but true. 

I hope stocks continue to soar throughout the year. I love seeing all of the businesses coming back providing jobs. 

Respected Contributor

Goid news for those going back to work, but in my industry, there will be a lot of job losses come October. They had to keep people working until that time, instead of letting everyone go.

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

What some are missing is the significance of the fact that professional economic observers, the 'experts' we look to, tend to figure in all factors, and yet still, predicted that the unemployment rate would be almost 20% for May.  

Instead, it is 13.3%,  stilll a whopping pandemic-induced number compared to our pre-Covid economy, but it is gob-smacking all the economists who forecasted far worse numbers.  Look at all the predictions they were making yesterday, compared to the actual reality of today.

That is what we celebrate-- we've defied expectations-- even informed expectations-- and that's excellent news.

People want to believe "experts" are infallible

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

Yes, @Cakers3 , that's what some people would prefer.

SMH

^eyeroll^