Respected Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

Contrary to everything you probably heard Friday, the U.S. unemployment rate went UP, not down last month - likely topping 16%. Millions of workers who should have been counted as unemployed for coronavirus closures were instead counted as employed but absent for “other reasons.” twitter.com/washingtonpost…

Yay let's cheer for high unemployment.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Jobs increase

[ Edited ]

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

Contrary to everything you probably heard Friday, the U.S. unemployment rate went UP, not down last month - likely topping 16%. Millions of workers who should have been counted as unemployed for coronavirus closures were instead counted as employed but absent for “other reasons.” twitter.com/washingtonpost…

Of course you accuse her of"cheering" for that. How about let's cheer for factually correct information as reported by the Bureau of Labor Statistics? That's what she's talking about, and she is allowed to do that here. 

I know facts don't seem to matter much these days sometimes. But they still do. Including the fact that unemployment among African Americans has been affected more by this pandemic, and remains so.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

Facts are facts, nothing to cheer about!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Jobs increase

[ Edited ]

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

I doubt anyone here wants to cheer for high unemployment nor do they want to cheer for the perpetuation of a fabrication. I think what would make people happy is knowing the truth whether it be disappointing or something truly worth a cheer. At least we'd know what we're really dealing with. Maybe at this time no one really knows the full truth of it. 

Actually, I think you're right @JaneMarple . I don't pretend to understand everything I know about this topic, lol, but I heard that the rules for small business loans having gone into effect also threw off the numbers. Something about how they can't lay off their employees whether they're actually working or not. Even if the business is closed they must keep the employees on the payroll in order to qualify for the loan.

It seems like that would keep the unemployment numbers down, and people are being paid, but it's not an actual job. Then, once the time frame for the terms of the loan expire they will either reopen their business or lay off the employees at that time. It will be some time before we get truly real statistics.

It all seems very complicated to me. With all the re-openings happening in our country surely the unemployment numbers will go down. I just hope the best for our country, our economy, and those who need work. I believe others do as well.