Esteemed Contributor

@AuntMame - I understand your frustration with buying fabrics online. Years ago I saw a fabric online but was unsure of one of the colors. When I saw it in person, thank goodness I did not order because on the screen the red looked beautiful, in person it looked like a brick color.

If you go online and find fabric you like, call the store and see if they will send you few sample swatches. I own an online quilt shop that carries 100% quilting cotton. If a customer calls and is unsure of a color or needs a particular shade, I send them swatches. I would rather they be happy with their purchase and become a regular customer.

Hope this helps - Riley1

Honored Contributor

Not sure why my post with the link to JoAnn's return policy was deleted without explanation, but in case the link violated some policy, here's the relevant paragraph:

How We Process Your Refund
We refund the cost of the returned merchandise, minus a $7.95 return shipping & handling fee, as soon as we receive and process the return shipment. We will send you an email to confirm that the return has been completed on our end. Refunds are in the form of original payment, so please note that your credit card company may take up to 10 additional business days to post the refund to your account. If the original form of payment was a gift card, a replacement gift card will be e-mailed to you. Personalized fabric and custom upholstered headboards purchased online cannot be returned.

It also states that you can return any item to a store.

Valued Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

@AuntMame - I understand your frustration with buying fabrics online. Years ago I saw a fabric online but was unsure of one of the colors. When I saw it in person, thank goodness I did not order because on the screen the red looked beautiful, in person it looked like a brick color.

If you go online and find fabric you like, call the store and see if they will send you few sample swatches. I own an online quilt shop that carries 100% quilting cotton. If a customer calls and is unsure of a color or needs a particular shade, I send them swatches. I would rather they be happy with their purchase and become a regular customer.

Hope this helps - Riley1

Thanks, Riley! I will do that. I've had great luck buying quilting and home dec fabrics online, but difficulty with fabrics for apparel. It's so hard to gauge thickness and drape from online fabric pics and descriptions. And some like Fabric dot com won't sell swatches for many apparel fabric lines as they can be pricey. Have spent many hours googling Pinterest pics of projects that sewers post having used specific fabrics. And resizing Fabric dot com images to try to get a better sense of the size of prints. Then ultimately threw up my hands. Ach!  Woman Tongue