Honored Contributor

Jay Leno Files For Conservatorship

I am so saddened to have read that Jay Leno has filed for conservatorship for his wife Mavis who has been diagnosed with dementia. He wants to set up a living trust for her so she will be taken care of in the event of his death. They seemed to have a happy loving  marriage, I feel bad for Jay, he seems like a good guy. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Jay Leno Files For Conservatorship

Sad for any family to deal with.

Respected Contributor

it's too bad, that this didn't stay private. It's a very personal situation and navigating it while the public is watching is just too invasive. This is playing out in many families all over and they should have privacy.

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I am so saddened to have read that Jay Leno has filed for conservatorship for his wife Mavis who has been diagnosed with dementia. He wants to set up a living trust for her so she will be taken care of in the event of his death. They seemed to have a happy loving  marriage, I feel bad for Jay, he seems like a good guy. 

My husband has met him several times at car shows.  He said he's very nice, friendly to everyone.

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2  Words are a cold comfort when families are dealing with sickness of this magnitude.     He is living up to his vow, in sickness and in health, good for him.

Honored Contributor

@10sluvr

If going public for doing what is a very loving thing that Leno has done would encourage others who have similar issues and the financial ability to set up a conservatorship if the sufferer outlives the caretaker, I think his speaking out is a good thing.   Leno, of course, is used to being in the public eye, but I hope the invasions of their privacy on this issue are far more positive than ugly.   I've seen various levels of dementia in my own family.  Even admitting aloud that the problem exists challenges some people.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Very said to hear he is having to deal with his dear wife's inability to handle her personal affairs. I remember him speaking of Mavis so often, always with affection. Dementia is something far too many of us are having to face with our loved ones now.  I pray Mavis and Jay can continue to have a loving future together. 

Respected Contributor

I read this on people today. Sad, she isn't that old either. Good for him to take steps to insure she will be well cared for in the event he passes before she does.

Trusted Contributor

She is 77.

“If you tell the truth, you don’t have to remember anything.” -Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

I feel sorry about this. He has been married to Mavis for a long time. I always thought that he was a good guy. I am sure he is doing right by his wife. Dementia is so awful.