Honored Contributor

I watched one of these shows once (or maybe another one with the same premise?) and found it too sad and depressing to ever watch again.

Valued Contributor
I can’t get over the fact that Joyce’s friend/caregiver didn’t even wear gloves when she washed her. 😩
Respected Contributor

Her mom comes over to Joyce's & says she's so worried about how much Joyce eats & then, makes a huge pan of lasagna that's enough to feed 20+ people!   It did look really good, but still!

Honored Contributor

@aubnwa01 wrote:

Her mom comes over to Joyce's & says she's so worried about how much Joyce eats & then, makes a huge pan of lasagna that's enough to feed 20+ people!   It did look really good, but still!

It was two huge pans of lasagne!  Looked like 18x13" pans and Joyce got what appeared to be about half of one. Smiley Surprised   Plus, another plate piled high with other stuff.   It was mind-boggling.  

Valued Contributor

Re: haveRe: JOYCE 600 LB LIFE

@minkbunny @Carmie You both make many valid points.  However, as I have posted several times on these people,  99% of them use the abuse excuse.  By some of their own admissions, they were already severely obese when they were small children...years before the abuse started.   Several of these episodes the person was surrounded by family and friends who are also severely obese.  

I've had gastric bypass, 2 stomach staples, and several horrible operations.  I'm a size 16/18 now, but my doctors' papers all consider me morbidly obese.  Even at my heaviest, I still worked at a job for 30 years, had friends, travelled, had relationships.  I blame nobody for my size except myself.  The same words I used at the therapists.

I just wish that people would take the blame for their destructive behaviours.  A person who hasn't moved out of bed in years cannot physically harm their enablers, but I have noticed that many of these people are verbally and emotionally abusive to their caretakers, spouses, family. etc.

Trusted Contributor

Re: JOYCE 600 LB LIFE

[ Edited ]

@Suziepeach 

People DID try to help her, many times. Interventions  rarely work for any kind of addiction. The person has to want to help herself. That could take years of therapy until the root of the problem is found and dealt with. The sad truth is that no one can cure any addiction, be it food, drugs, alcohol, smoking, gambling or any other except the addict himself. 

Occasional Contributor

Re: haveRe: JOYCE 600 LB LIFE

You are 100% correct.