Respected Contributor

Wasted money. There are so many ways he could have spent that money. Anything charitable. 

Esteemed Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

I have no problem with it but was not all that impressed.  I realize it's probably a good thing but what bothers me the most is the $200 million he gave away to Van Jones and Chef (whoever)??   Why not use that money to give bonuses to your hard working Amazon people??  JMO.

@LindaSal I would love to tell you about world renowned Chef Jose Andres.  He has accomplished more valuable things than many world leaders.  When I see his passion while he is serving, it is impossible to be unmoved. 

He is a first responder, addressing the problem of hunger immediately following a disaster, through his World Central Kitchen an American not-for-profit organization.

In August 2017, he provided meals to victims and first responders working in Houston, Texas, following, Hurricane Harvey.  

Chef José Andrés was a leader of the disaster relief efforts in Puerto Rico in the wake of Hurricane Maria in September 2017, while all of the Puerto Rican electrical grid and water service crumbled, and the federal government was super slow to respond.  Without any federal funding, he organized a grass-roots movement of chefs and volunteers to establish communications, food supplies, and other resources and started serving meals. They served more than two million meals in the first month after the hurricane, and continued after that. WCK developed resiliency centers on the island, and installed a hydropanel array at a greenhouse in San Juan to provide safe drinking water.

WCK operated in Southern California in Ventura County during the December 2017 Thomas Fire to assist firefighters and first responders and provided food to families affected by the fires.

He provided foor to the Hawaiian communities affected by a volcanic eruption in June 2018.

In September 2018, he provided food services in South Carolina in the aftermath of Hurricane Florence.

In November 2018, WCK together with other chefs, served  Thanksgiving dinner to 15,000 Camp Fire survivors in Butte County, California.

In January 2019 WCK opened a restaurant in Washington, DC, to feed federal workers that were furloughed during the government shutdown.

In September 2019, he opened kitchens in The Bahamas to feed the victims of Hurricane Dorian.

In October 2019 he served meals for victims and first responders of  the Kincade Fire.

In mid-March 2020, Andrés transformed eight of his New York City and Washington, DC restaurants into soup kitchens to feed those affected by the COVID-19 crisis.

During April 2020, Andrés partnered with the Washington Nationals and World Central Kitchen to use the team's stadium in Washington, DC, as a kitchen and distribution facility for free meals.

These are just some examples of the work he has done.

Esteemed Contributor

@Linmo wrote:

I was surprised that no one posted on here about today's Blue Origin flight.  I think it's amazing that 82 year old Wally Funk finally made it into space!  It looks like a new generation of space exploration is being born.

@Linmo This flight was not about space exploration.  It was basically a brief joy ride.  But I hope that it does help further the goal of space exploration, perhaps through innovation.

Honored Contributor

The thought of them exploring space for humankind to inhabit because this planet is beyond hope doesn't sit well in my mind.

What's to stop mankind from trashing another planet or outerspace living quarters?

A quick (and fearful) google search on how much trash/debris is floating around up there---and from a reputable site , NASA (?)---says (May 26, 2021) and I'm paraphrasing here....over 27,000 pieces of orbital debris or 'space junk' are being tracked by the Dept. of Defense....

(!!!)

There much more (trash) than that, but it's too small to be tracked, but large enough to threaten human spaceflight and robotic missions.

Tiny pieces traveling at an average of 15,700 mph can still cause big problems.

Clean water.  If they don't come upon a huge source of clean, fresh water from outerspace, well, forget it.

What are they going to do?  Take clean, fresh water from Earth?  

They can drag all the *green* supplies they want up there, and use gas from green beans to propel themselves into outerspace, but don't take the water from me.  I'm staying here.

Esteemed Contributor

$26MM dollars for a ride.  Fun times for those who can afford it.

Bezos also announced he was giving away $100MM to two different people he thinks are deserving right after the launch. I forget their names but he said they can use the funds for their own non profit organizarions or whatever to further their own life's causes.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

I have no problem with it but was not all that impressed.  I realize it's probably a good thing but what bothers me the most is the $200 million he gave away to Van Jones and Chef (whoever)??   Why not use that money to give bonuses to your hard working Amazon people??  JMO.

Agree.....I'm sure upper management and middle management do get pay for performance bonuses, but the folk who do the grunt work are deserving too.  I wonder if they get bonuses.  @LindaSal 

Esteemed Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

@Spurt thank you!

A's profitability is largely due to Prime memberships, not sales.

So yes, celebrate the fact folks other than me made his journey a success 😂

Please provide a source for this information because it's likely not true @Snowpuppy .  Not everyone is a prime member but they can still play.  You don't have to be a prime member to shop there or take advantgage of the many things they have to offer.  Your assertion sounds a little off and doesn't make much sense, considering all of Amazon's holdings (other companies it owns).

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

And no Prime Customer commented on Bezos's remarks---

Jeff Bezos gave a heartfelt thanks to Amazon employees and customers following his record-setting trip to space Tuesday — noting that they “paid for all of this.”

“I … want to thank every Amazon employee, and every Amazon customer because you guys paid for all this,” the 57-year-old Amazon founder told reporters after returning from his trip to the edge of space.

“So seriously, for every Amazon customer out there, and every Amazon employee, thank you from the bottom of my heart, very much. It’s very appreciated.”

Bezos received his wings in a ceremony after he returned on his company Blue Origin’s first commercial flight, which took off around 9:12 a.m. Tuesday from West Texas.

@Spurt Maybe they weren't allowed to.  Furthermore, how do you there aren't some people, somewhere where Amazon serves hasn't said a thing?  Speculation is what you're doing.  They can block comments on social media platforms.

Esteemed Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@LindaSal wrote:

@LindaSal I would love to tell you about world renowned Chef Jose Andres.  He has accomplished more valuable things than many world leaders.  When I see his passion while he is serving, it is impossible to be unmoved. 

He is a first responder, addressing the problem of hunger immediately following a disaster, through his World Central Kitchen an American not-for-profit organization.

In August 2017, he provided meals to victims and first responders working in Houston, Texas, following, Hurricane Harvey.  

Chef José Andrés was a leader of the disaster relief efforts in Puerto Rico in the wake of Hurricane Maria in September 2017, while all of the Puerto Rican electrical grid and water service crumbled, and the federal government was super slow to respond.  Without any federal funding, he organized a grass-roots movement of chefs and volunteers to establish communications, food supplies, and other resources and started serving meals. They served more than two million meals in the first month after the hurricane, and continued after that. WCK developed resiliency centers on the island, and installed a hydropanel array at a greenhouse in San Juan to provide safe drinking water.

WCK operated in Southern California in Ventura County during the December 2017 Thomas Fire to assist firefighters and first responders and provided food to families affected by the fires.

He provided foor to the Hawaiian communities affected by a volcanic eruption in June 2018.

In September 2018, he provided food services in South Carolina in the aftermath of Hurricane Florence.

In November 2018, WCK together with other chefs, served  Thanksgiving dinner to 15,000 Camp Fire survivors in Butte County, California.

In January 2019 WCK opened a restaurant in Washington, DC, to feed federal workers that were furloughed during the government shutdown.

In September 2019, he opened kitchens in The Bahamas to feed the victims of Hurricane Dorian.

In October 2019 he served meals for victims and first responders of  the Kincade Fire.

In mid-March 2020, Andrés transformed eight of his New York City and Washington, DC restaurants into soup kitchens to feed those affected by the COVID-19 crisis.

During April 2020, Andrés partnered with the Washington Nationals and World Central Kitchen to use the team's stadium in Washington, DC, as a kitchen and distribution facility for free meals.

These are just some examples of the work he has done.

@NYCLatinaMe A wonderful human being that doesn't like to see suffering!  Excellent.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Bezo's started Amazon out of his garage selling books... I give the guy credit for making it big....  and being a muti BILLIONARE.....

This new venture  of his has been in the making for 20 some years... and  is no different....

in 50 or 100  years this space flight will be comparable  to December 17, 1903, when Wilbur and Orville Wright made four brief flights at Kitty Hawk with their first powered aircraft. The Wright brothers had invented the first successful airplane....

Visionaries are often mocked and ridiculed.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.