Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 28,071
Registered: ‎03-20-2010

And no Prime Customer commented on Bezos's remarks---

 

Jeff Bezos gave a heartfelt thanks to Amazon employees and customers following his record-setting trip to space Tuesday — noting that they “paid for all of this.”

“I … want to thank every Amazon employee, and every Amazon customer because you guys paid for all this,” the 57-year-old Amazon founder told reporters after returning from his trip to the edge of space.

“So seriously, for every Amazon customer out there, and every Amazon employee, thank you from the bottom of my heart, very much. It’s very appreciated.”

Bezos received his wings in a ceremony after he returned on his company Blue Origin’s first commercial flight, which took off around 9:12 a.m. Tuesday from West Texas.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,447
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

@Spurt thank you!

 

A's profitability is largely due to Prime memberships, not sales.

 

So yes, celebrate the fact folks other than me made his journey a success 😂

Honored Contributor
Posts: 28,071
Registered: ‎03-20-2010

@Snowpuppy wrote:

@Spurt thank you!

 

A's profitability is largely due to Prime memberships, not sales.

 

So yes, celebrate the fact folks other than me made his journey a success 😂


@Snowpuppy 

 

Please take a bow......😂

 

images21.jpg

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,114
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

He should have one heck of Christmas sales if they do a replica of his ship exclusive to Amazon.  The sales of Space Shuttles and Rockets have always been big with children for decades.  It is amazing that the average person can go into space when it was once the Original Seven.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor
Posts: 23,772
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@DiAnne wrote:

Anderson Cooper did a great interview with him and his brother this evening if anyone is interested.  


@DiAnne I don't have a number for how far down on the list of things I am interested in that would rank. . . Woman Wink

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,459
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

When I was a kid, Alan Shepard did basically the same thing Bezos did. He went up to what was defined as space and came back again. That was about 60 years ago. What was accomplished by a three-million-dollar-a-minute ride in a more-than-obvious-looking symbol for what this flight was about? These billionaires should learn that self-indulgence looks quite ugly to many of us. With Covid, climate change, poverty, our crumbling infrastructure etc., etc., etc., wouldn't it have been better to help millions instead of financing an ego trip...with our money?

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,011
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

@beckyb1012 wrote:

He should have one heck of Christmas sales if they do a replica of his ship exclusive to Amazon.  The sales of Space Shuttles and Rockets have always been big with children for decades.  It is amazing that the average person can go into space when it was once the Original Seven.


Ummmm...........unless it vibrates to simulate takeoff and flight, I don't see a model ship being a big seller.


'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor
Posts: 21,181
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Bezo's started Amazon out of his garage selling books... I give the guy credit for making it big....  and being a muti BILLIONARE.....

 

This new venture  of his has been in the making for 20 some years... and  is no different....

 

in 50 or 100  years this space flight will be comparable  to December 17, 1903, when Wilbur and Orville Wright made four brief flights at Kitty Hawk with their first powered aircraft. The Wright brothers had invented the first successful airplane....

 

 

 

 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,845
Registered: ‎01-14-2017

@gardenman wrote:

The US pretty much got out of the human spaceflight business when they shut down the shuttle program. Private entrepreneurs then took over, seeing a potentially large profit down the road. Now the US is back with Orion and Project Artemis for deeper space exploration while yielding the low Earth orbit stuff to the private companies. It's good that there's competition. Designing spacecraft is complicated and there will be failures along the way. Having a private/public combo using different devices means we should always have an alternate way to get there.

 

In 2018, 114 satellites were launched. In 2019 the number slipped to 95. In 2020 with more private launches the number rose to 1,283. The small, low Earth orbit satellites now being deployed can bring affordable, high-speed Internet to literally every corner of the globe. Go back fifty years and the cost to launch a single satellite was astronomical. Competition has brought those costs way, way down to the benefit of everyone.


 

Satellites are helpful, but when they outlive their usefulness they become space junk.  So concerned about unanticipated consequences.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 23,772
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@Vivian wrote:

When I was a kid, Alan Shepard did basically the same thing Bezos did. He went up to what was defined as space and came back again. That was about 60 years ago. What was accomplished by a three-million-dollar-a-minute ride in a more-than-obvious-looking symbol for what this flight was about? These billionaires should learn that self-indulgence looks quite ugly to many of us. With Covid, climate change, poverty, our crumbling infrastructure etc., etc., etc., wouldn't it have been better to help millions instead of financing an ego trip...with our money?


@Vivian I finance a lot of ego trips with my money. . . I do and buy things I don't need.  I can't cast stones. . .