Esteemed Contributor

There are so many things we use everyday that came out of the US Space programs innovation.  Now that the space program has been privatized it is exciting to see what will come next.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@jellyBEAN wrote:

I watched the launch and very brief ride of a lifetime and had mixed feelings about it.  On one hand I thought it was exciting and great and pleased that all went according to plan.

On the other hand I wondered what the purpose of this was?  Other than he could afford to do this.  He is employing lots of people.  He is obviously a smart guy, a self-made titan of industry much like Vanderbilt, Rockefeller or Henry Ford.

But does this further pollute our atmosphere?  Are millionaires now going to be joy-riding in rockets other than their private jets?  I don't know enough about it, but I guess you cant stop progress.

I agree. I realize that this flight may lead to other developments for humankind. He will write off most of the expenses and walk away paying little to no taxes. And that bothers me the most.

Honored Contributor

Spoiled rich people.

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

@jellyBEAN wrote:

I watched the launch and very brief ride of a lifetime and had mixed feelings about it.  On one hand I thought it was exciting and great and pleased that all went according to plan.

On the other hand I wondered what the purpose of this was?  Other than he could afford to do this.  He is employing lots of people.  He is obviously a smart guy, a self-made titan of industry much like Vanderbilt, Rockefeller or Henry Ford.

But does this further pollute our atmosphere?  Are millionaires now going to be joy-riding in rockets other than their private jets?  I don't know enough about it, but I guess you cant stop progress.

It like everything else Bezos and company lecture us about.  Climate change "concerns" will never inconvenience them.  The "necessary restrictions" are only for others.

Honored Contributor

The US pretty much got out of the human spaceflight business when they shut down the shuttle program. Private entrepreneurs then took over, seeing a potentially large profit down the road. Now the US is back with Orion and Project Artemis for deeper space exploration while yielding the low Earth orbit stuff to the private companies. It's good that there's competition. Designing spacecraft is complicated and there will be failures along the way. Having a private/public combo using different devices means we should always have an alternate way to get there.

In 2018, 114 satellites were launched. In 2019 the number slipped to 95. In 2020 with more private launches the number rose to 1,283. The small, low Earth orbit satellites now being deployed can bring affordable, high-speed Internet to literally every corner of the globe. Go back fifty years and the cost to launch a single satellite was astronomical. Competition has brought those costs way, way down to the benefit of everyone.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

The US pretty much got out of the human spaceflight business when they shut down the shuttle program. Private entrepreneurs then took over, seeing a potentially large profit down the road. Now the US is back with Orion and Project Artemis for deeper space exploration while yielding the low Earth orbit stuff to the private companies. It's good that there's competition. Designing spacecraft is complicated and there will be failures along the way. Having a private/public combo using different devices means we should always have an alternate way to get there.

In 2018, 114 satellites were launched. In 2019 the number slipped to 95. In 2020 with more private launches the number rose to 1,283. The small, low Earth orbit satellites now being deployed can bring affordable, high-speed Internet to literally every corner of the globe. Go back fifty years and the cost to launch a single satellite was astronomical. Competition has brought those costs way, way down to the benefit of everyone.

These innovations are expensive and each failure is costly.  I applaud those willing to take a chance.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

I have no problem with it but was not all that impressed.  I realize it's probably a good thing but what bothers me the most is the $200 million he gave away to Van Jones and Chef (whoever)??   Why not use that money to give bonuses to your hard working Amazon people??  JMO.

Honored Contributor

@jellyBEAN   You brought up several good points.  I wish that we were developing some sort of space program, rather than leaving it up to these affluent space cowboys.  

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal  Chef (?) does tremendous good in times of crises.  I'm delighted to hear of the dontation for his works:

"José Ramón Andrés Puerta is a Spanish chef, restaurateur, and founder of World Central Kitchen, a non-profit devoted to providing meals in the wake of natural disasters. He is often credited with bringing the small plates dining concept to America."

Honored Contributor

@agb80   Yes, I get it...while the space cowboys are playing our country is in crisis.  The elephant in the living room is not addressed....and it is impacting and infiltrating our daily lives.  Fossil fuels is just the tip of the ice berg.  You have an amazing governor, who hopefully might be able to make some changes.  Wishing you the best...