Trusted Contributor

Re: JC Penney Customer Racist Rant

I don't get nasty about it but I most definitely do say something if someone cuts in line. I'll tell them I've been waiting in line for however long I've been waitng, the line is behind me & I'll point out the end of the line to them.

Respected Contributor

I hate it when someone tries to get in line in front of me, but I would never lash out like that.  If for some reason I was so stressed, lost my mind, and couldn't control myself, the words that would come out of my mouth would not be racist.  If you don't think like that, if it is not your nature, a person may overact and say unkind things, but not like that woman did.  It's like using being drunk as an excuse to say something horrible. Mel Gibson comes to mind....

Honored Contributor

I hope the mall sticks to their guns, but I doubt it.  It will be very hard to  find this person ,in a crowd of shoppers

Esteemed Contributor

@sgraham30 wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

When you have the audacity to cut in line, you're liable to get any sort of response, racist or otherwise. I wonder what made them think they had the right to just cut in line?

I don't think they just cut in line. One was in line already, being served, the 2nd one went & got additional items to add to the order. At least that's my understanding, I may be wrong.

According to the Washington Post:

"The cellphone video shows a woman waiting for a cashier at a J.C. Penney store, shouting racist and discriminatory remarks at another customer who had apparently cut the line.

In that moment, which was captured on camera at a store at Jefferson Mall in Louisville, the belligerent woman screamed at the accused line-cutter, who is apparently Hispanic, to “go back to wherever the f— you come from, lady.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/12/22/tell-them-to-go-back-where-they-belong...

Trusted Contributor

An individual adding to an order when another person is being checked out happens all the time with any number of people of different races, ethnicities, and so on.  The rant was racist and the ranter felt empowered, for whatever reason to behave in that manner.  My initial inclination would have been to defend the two women.  However, the reality is that I am not certain I would intervene because of all of the individuals that carry weapons and the "stand your ground" argument so many use effectively to kill others. 

Trusted Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow, this cut/paste is from the article that you posted the link for:

“this Hispanic lady was purchasing items and the transaction was almost complete, then her friend brings up some shirts to be added to her purchase instead of getting in line. And this lady went off!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Well, I wouldn't do that.

I wouldn't shop and then go to the front of the line to my friend and check out ahead of others.

I would take my stuff to the end of the line and wait just like everyone else was doing.

Trusted Contributor

@Zernia Rose wrote:

An individual adding to an order when another person is being checked out happens all the time with any number of people of different races, ethnicities, and so on.  The rant was racist and the ranter felt empowered, for whatever reason to behave in that manner.  My initial inclination would have been to defend the two women.  However, the reality is that I am not certain I would intervene because of all of the individuals that carry weapons and the "stand your ground" argument so many use effectively to kill others. 

It is not worth getting involved.  Both parties walked away UNHARMED.

The heavyset Lady said her piece and the line-butter and her friend ALL WALKED AWAY in one piece.  

It would not be worth it for either parties to get into a rumble over this - and I am sure everyone is glad they don't have a court date and lawyer fee's to pay nor are either parties recoperating in the hospital.

I say - WELL PLAYED LADIES !!!

Esteemed Contributor

Really offended by the "these people" statements.  As if there have not been rude, nasty people at any other time in history.  Lets make everything about race now.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

I am glad no one got physically hurt.

This could have gone very badly.