Esteemed Contributor

J C Penney not giving out free box with purchase anymore...

[ Edited ]

I was at the local Mall today to pick up a last minute gift. Found some cute jammies for the Granddaughter and when I went to the Service Desk....I saw a sign that they no longer give you a free gift box.....

I wonder if Macy's still gives them out. I know they "ran out" last year about this time.

Honored Contributor

Re: J C Penney not giving out free box with purchase anymore...

I can't remember the last time I received a box when I asked for one during the Holidays. I know it used to be the norm. Then again, I remember when MANY things used to be the norm when it came to shopping and customer service......

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

I can't remember the last time I received a box when I asked for one during the Holidays. I know it used to be the norm. Then again, I remember when MANY things used to be the norm when it came to shopping and customer service......

You are so right.  I haven't received a box at dept. stores in years.  Here now we also have to provide our own bag to transport our  purchases out of the store or we have to buy a bag for 10 cents.   Started with grocery stores and now it's pretty much all stores.

Respected Contributor

It's been many years, but I remember when I would ask for a box at Macy's or JCP at checkout, they would always say they didn't have any more at their registers and to try to get one at gift wrapping.  Of course gift wrapping (when they had that) didn't have any either.  I quit asking many years ago.  I now get mine at Dollar Tree.  Two boxes for a dollar.

Honored Contributor

So far I don't have to buy grocery bags. What's next?

Trusted Contributor

It's been at least 20 years since I remember getting gift boxes.  They used to always have them in department stores regardless of the time of year.  Didn't anyone else's mom or grandma have loads of them under the bed?

Honored Contributor

Neiman Marcus, Lord and Taylor and Nordstrom still give out gift boxes. Even tissue is provided if you ask nicely.. LOL

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

Neiman Marcus, Lord and Taylor and Nordstrom still give out gift boxes. Even tissue is provided if you ask nicely.. LOL

Lol. The last time I was at Lord & Taylor, I spent almost 30 minutes looking for a sales person to ring me up. I walked out and left everything on the register. They have boxes but no SA's? Amazing, lol.

Nordstrom usually has them in the childrens' section, especially in Infants (due to so many things being purchased as gifts). But upstairs where women's is sold? Haven't snagged a box, ever. Same in every other department EXCEPT Home where they SOMETIMES will have a box for blanket...rarely though.

Saks and Neimans....you're right. It DOES depend, lol.

Esteemed Contributor

A decade + ago when I use to work at Sears, we would have cases of gift boxes behind each counter.

I would always include one or two extra for the customer as I put their merchandise in the bag.

If they bought five things, I would give them six boxes.

The customer didn't even have to ask for it, as the boxes were free, and you never know when an extra box will come in handy!

Honored Contributor

@TenderMercies wrote:

It's been at least 20 years since I remember getting gift boxes.  They used to always have them in department stores regardless of the time of year.  Didn't anyone else's mom or grandma have loads of them under the bed?

Have you been peeking under my beds?  That's where my family members store the boxes after they have been emptied.  We always get a kick out of receiving a gift in a box from a store no longer in business like Marshall Fields or Carson, Pirie, Scott.