Esteemed Contributor

How does it happen?

I followed up on a thread from a couple of weeks ago and read a reply that said something about when people are empowered things will be better for them.

So how does this "empowerment" happen?  What does the word...empowerment...even mean?

Keepin' it real.
Frequent Contributor

I believe people feel empowered when they have an encouraging audience.  When others speak out and are listened to, that gives others the confidence to tell their story.  Most people don't want to be the only one to speak.  That's why the "me too" campaign has taken off; victims don't feel that they are alone.

It's the little things.
Respected Contributor

What do you think it means?

Honored Contributor

@esmerelda, I must have missed that one, but I would think to believe in yourself and your own esteem, where you can trust your decision and act on them. Just my guess.

Honored Contributor

Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary defines it as "giving official authority or legal power to." 

Honored Contributor

For me, I was so miserable in my job and my life that I finally took the steps to make myself unmiserable. It's called stop complaining and start doing and I did.

Best holiday gift to myself ever. Heart

Honored Contributor

Oxford defines it as:

The process of becoming stronger and more confident, especially in controlling one's life and claiming one's rights.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Super Contributor

To me it means to take control of your life and yourself---make necessary changes, set goals and make a plan toward your goals, be willing to do the work and be scared or uncomfortable in doing so.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14

Good for you and i bet you could instanly feel the stress roll off your shoulders!

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Honored Contributor

Re: Empowerment

[ Edited ]

@cowboy sam wrote:

@Laura14

Good for you and i bet you could instanly feel the stress roll off your shoulders!

@cowboy sam  More and more every day.  It's scary changing and getting out of comfort zones but the fear is slowly being replaced with excitement.  I highly recommend it.