Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

Oxford defines it as:

The process of becoming stronger and more confident, especially in controlling one's life and claiming one's rights.

Seems like a no-brainer.

Honored Contributor

This is just my gut instinct regarding the OP's question: I think that she might be implying, based on her wording, that the word "empowerment" is devoid of meaning after being used so often.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

per Webster -- authority or power given to someone to do something.

Honored Contributor

Re: Empowerment

[ Edited ]

Empowerment has always meant to me: To take control of your destiny. Be it education, career, health, relationships, YOU be in the driver seat. Don't rely on someone, don't allow someone to keep you down in any way. YOU be in charge no matter the odds.

I live by this. I teach my children this. I've worked with enough women who have come from situations where they NEVER believed they or their children were worth anything that once they believe in themselves and empower themselves, THEY are in charge of their lives and they can SOAR.

And they do. : )

Honored Contributor

Knowing you aren't alone is of great value but true empowerment comes from within. No one cane find it for you, you must find it within yourself. 

Trusted Contributor

Salma Hayek...an excerpt from what she wrote

Harvey Weinstein is my monster too

No to opening the door to him at all hours of the night, hotel after hotel, location after location, where he would show up unexpectedly, including one location where I was doing a movie he wasn't even involved with.

No to me taking a shower with him.

No to letting him watch me take a shower.

No to letting him give me a massage.

No to letting a naked friend of his give me a massage.

No to letting him give me oral sex.

No to my getting naked with another woman.

No, no, no, no, no 

And with every refusal came Harvey's Machiavellian rage.

Please read her account.

Regular Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

How does it happen?

I followed up on a thread from a couple of weeks ago and read a reply that said something about when people are empowered things will be better for them.

So how does this "empowerment" happen?  What does the word...empowerment...even mean?

Hi Esme:

My son had this as an assignment in HS recently.  The question was simply: what is empowerment?"  The paper could be as long/short has you needed it to be. 

This is what my son wrote:  Empowerment is when you stop thinking you are a victim. 

Hope it helps.  I thought he was spot on. (He got an A, by the way).

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

per Webster -- authority or power given to someone to do something.

I think people are making way more of this word than it actually means. For instance - when  I passed my state boards I was empowered to be a registered nurse. When you get married you are empowered to be a wife - have a baby , you are empowered to be a mother. When an employee gets a promotion to a job like a foreman he is empowered to supervise the work of those employees under him. 

Saying or thinking you are empowered to determine your destiny is pretty naive IMO. There are many factors that are not in your control that work toward or against  your destiny. Illness - economic conditions - weather - politics -- many things can change your direction or completely derail your destiny and are totally out of your control.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I view "empowerment" as the legitimate recognition of one's ability to institute change.

When I cast my vote for a candidate, I am choosing to empower him or her to represent my best interests.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Forbidden Fruit wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

How does it happen?

I followed up on a thread from a couple of weeks ago and read a reply that said something about when people are empowered things will be better for them.

So how does this "empowerment" happen?  What does the word...empowerment...even mean?

Hi Esme:

My son had this as an assignment in HS recently.  The question was simply: what is empowerment?"  The paper could be as long/short has you needed it to be. 

This is what my son wrote:  Empowerment is when you stop thinking you are a victim. 

Hope it helps.  I thought he was spot on. (He got an A, by the way).

@Forbidden Fruit, kudos for your son's high grade.

I was a victim of harassment. I won't shed  that label. It's just a fact. It doesn't mean that I'm weak or somehow lacking.  "Victimization" alludes to someone who perhaps uses the concept for personal gain of some sort. But "victim" is not a bad word

I'm sure that your son wasn't implying that at all, but I do look worry about some who come very close to blaming those who have suffered at the hands of others. It's just too close to the idea that we should forget and just move on.

Not going to happen.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland