Honored Contributor

Re: It should not be celebrated...

[ Edited ]

@comedy clubber wrote:

I do not think taht morbid obesity should be celebrated.  Cosmo UK is wrong to laud the woman on this cover.  I am tired of paying high health insurance premiums because 1/13 of the US American population is morbidly obese.  This cover on Cosmo, and shows like My Big Fat Fabulous Life, and My 600 pound Life are absurd.   Not everyone needs to weigh 100 pounds, but to glorify  obesity is insanity.  I weigh 145 and wish I weighed 130, but I am 100% healthy with the exception of having rheumatoid arthritis.  I cannot get private insurance at a reasonable rate because of the RA.    This is because I have to answer about a preexisting condition, and insurance then assumes the worst due to the obesity rate in this country.  Sorry I am rambling, but why can't we encourage health and discourage obesity.  It not hormones either!

@comedy clubber

How about a photo of the cover?   Is it recent .....   or an older cover?

Honored Contributor

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JeanLouisFinch:  Well said and hooray for common sense in a real world and all the sizes we come in. 

The word "celebrate" is extreme and unreal.  Nobody celebrates extreme weight or lack of and if a photo of a large person is so bothersome, best look away.  If the issue is high insurance rates, the causes are myriad, don't lay it at the feet of someone you find repulsive, best to deal with that insidious personal issue that has nothing to do with other people.

Honored Contributor

I'm not too crazy about the tattoos....

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

I'm not too crazy about the tattoos....

@San Antonio Gal

That’s a whole ‘nuther thread!

🙃

Honored Contributor

@comedy clubber.  How do you know the obesity rate is raising your insurance rates?  What proof do you have?  Maybe your RA is affecting your rate.  You are making a lot of assumptions with no proof.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@this is my nic wrote:

I watch "My 600 Pound Life", and am always stunned by the fine print shown prior to the start of the current story.  It states that long term success for those who undergo the surgery is less than 5%!   One of my jobs was working in the GI Surgery dept. of a major hospital.  The stomach reduction surgery was performed by a couple of the doctors in the department.  This is a very expensive procedure!   From the pre- surgery needs of the patient, which may include psychological help, to the recuperation, the cost is astronomical.   On the show, the patients appear to be low income individuals, many say they are on SS disability because they are unable to work.  So, I assume their medical bills are paid for by Medicaid, the taxpayers.  If the long term success is less than 5% this seems like a lot of $$$ for a very long shot. 

@this is my nic.  Your comments are spot on.  The doctor on that program is making a killing by doing the surgery on Medicaid patients knowing their chance of success is nil.  He has made a career out of doing bariatric surgery at our expense. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

She's beautiful!

https---blueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com-uploads-card-image-837114-21adc97e-1d3a-493a-bf38-395b267a539a.jpg

Respected Contributor

Re: that 5% success rate...How do they measure success? Frankly, if a 600 lb patient loses 400 lbs I certainly call that a success...They may never weigh what the “weight chart” says they should, but sure I wouldn’t call that a “failure”...

Honored Contributor

@Mothertrucker wrote:

Re: that 5% success rate...How do they measure success? Frankly, if a 600 lb patient loses 400 lbs I certainly call that a success...They may never weigh what the “weight chart” says they should, but sure I wouldn’t call that a “failure”...

‘Success’ is not gaining the weight back.

All the surgery & work to lose, then 95% of patient’s gain it back.