Valued Contributor

Re: It should not be celebrated...

I think the cover aims to celebrate diveresity, which is a positive step for women who have been scrutinized based on their bodies and looks for too long.  In the end it is probably a gimmick to increase buzz, but why should only one look for women be "celebrated" on the cover?  I would rather see this new cover than the prototypical skeletal and silcone encrusted "ideal" that we have grown accustomed to seeing on that cover.  Cosmo isn't a health publication.  

Respected Contributor

I never understood why people would allow themselves to become grossly overweight when they knew it would very likely have a negative effect on their health. I was what most folks consider thin for all my adult life. And while I ate healthy meals, I could enjoy a donut with my coffee, ice cream after dinner and never worry about weight gain. In fact, if I didn’t eat a snack before bed I’d drop 2 pounds overnight.

Then menopause came and boy was that a game changer. I have had to become very food conscious, choosing healthier alternatives to foods I never thought twice about before. In addition, with the loss of estrogen my cholesterol has become a concern. And with the change in the way my body stores fat, yes the dreaded meno potbelly, I have to take meds for acid reflux if I eat a large supper or if I eat late.

My new reality is that I now have a little understanding of what it means to struggle with weight issues. For those who are younger and don’t struggle with weight issues, enjoy it now! It’s unlikely that as you age, your health will stay as it is now. And recognize that genetics will have a major influence on the state of your health as time goes on. Look at your parents and their health issues and expect that at least some of their current concerns now will become yours in the future.

Honored Contributor

Would this be acceptable for a well-known magazines cover?

E54E5985-1864-44DA-96C2-2475FBD73826.jpeg

Honored Contributor

The human body is very forgiving and amazingly adapting.  A few pounds over your ideal  weight is fine.....But, the human body is not capable of carrying about  400 to 600 plus pounds on the average human  frame for any period of time without breaking down.  That is just Fact. 

The gal who has the reality show My Fat Fab Life is only fooling herself to act like she is just fine at 400 plus pounds.  She can blame it on whatever cause she wants, and make claims  about how healthy she is and how great it is to be  extremely obese,  but she is going to die an early  death the longer she keeps the weight on. I suppose she makes a good living off of her misery....

I think with these show on extreme obesity....it is more like a side show or carnival show.....they get good ratings because people get off on watching the suffering of others. Plain and simple.  It is just really sad. 

Honored Contributor

I have struggled with my weight for most of my life.  It was one diet after the other until I realized everything in moderation and portion control are the keys.  

No, obesity shouldn't be celebrated because of health issues which can result from all that weight but on the other hand we shouldn't fat shame either.  I can understand trying to instill some self esteem in those who were on the magazine cover, perhaps giving them incentive to try to lose weight.  Maybe lifting spirits and being positive can help people control their weight.  I know when I started to lose weight I did feel good about myself and it motivated me.  

Being too heavy or too thin are not healthy for anyone.  We need to exercise also.  However, having had a weight problem for so long I certainly would never put anyone down for doing what they do for personal reasons. Only those who have the problem can resolve it if they so choose, no one can force it. It is a tough battle but for health reasons I would hope those who fall into the morbidly obese category take the first steps, their lives depend upon it.

Valued Contributor

I totally agree @SeaMaiden -- my thoughts exactly about Whitney on "MBFFL."  It's sad because she's an energetic, talented, pretty girl who has a lot to offer the world. But I agree, she's lying to herself claiming happiness and satisfaction with obesity.  I do give her credit for putting herself out there and not giving up on life.  One shouldn't wait for life to be perfect in order to enjoy activities and relationships.  I do wish she would get help because there's no question she has a food issue.  Somewhere off camera, she's eating an enormous amount of calories.  I'm not judging her -- I myself have 50 lbs to loose.  It's not easy to find that discipline, I struggle. But I know I would be much happier if I lost the weight.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Would this be acceptable for a well-known magazines cover?

E54E5985-1864-44DA-96C2-2475FBD73826.jpeg

Good heavens @sidsmom please tell me this is photoshopped or something and if not shame on the magazine that actually published this photo.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@comedy clubber wrote:

I do not think taht morbid obesity should be celebrated.  Cosmo UK is wrong to laud the woman on this cover.  I am tired of paying high health insurance premiums because 1/13 of the US American population is morbidly obese.  This cover on Cosmo, and shows like My Big Fat Fabulous Life, and My 600 pound Life are absurd.   Not everyone needs to weigh 100 pounds, but to glorify  obesity is insanity.  I weigh 145 and wish I weighed 130, but I am 100% healthy with the exception of having rheumatoid arthritis.  I cannot get private insurance at a reasonable rate because of the RA.    This is because I have to answer about a preexisting condition, and insurance then assumes the worst due to the obesity rate in this country.  Sorry I am rambling, but why can't we encourage health and discourage obesity.  It not hormones either!

@comedy clubberShould fat people not be able to enjoy life?  Your post comes across as being very judgemental against overweight people.  Believe me, the majority of overweight people (me included) aren't happy with their weight or the way they look and that often ends up as a matter of self-acceptance.  Your attitude contributes to that.  I'm not asking to be celebrated, but I think us fatties just want to be accepted, treated with dignity and respect, and not have others look down their judgmental noses at us because we're big. Yes, there are some large people who are happy in their own skin.  The MBFFL show is celebrating that because these people have learned self acceptance and how to experience the joys of life in spite of their size, they're not letting it get in the way.  Even so, I believe they are the exception.  Those of us who are fat KNOW we're fat - nobody needs to remind us.  It's not always as simple as eating less and moving more.  There may be physical limitations, medical conditions, emotional issues, medications, etc. that get in the way.  It's easy for a smaller person to get on their high horse and tell the rest of us what we need to do but unless you've been in any our our shoes, you have no idea what it's like.  Bragging on yourself is no inspiration either.  Making it an insurance issue is a false premise too.  I know family members and friends who are average size or smaller and they've had more hospitalizations, serious illnesses, etc. than I've ever had.  

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom I find that picture more horrifying than the one we are discussing.

Esteemed Contributor

I have never even heard of this model.

Would never buy this magazine.