Valued Contributor

Re: It's.easier.to.win.a.World.Series.than.get.Social.Security.disability

There is a bill in Congress thay would cut SS disability benefits by 19%
Honored Contributor

On 3/18/2015 Ford1224 said:

There are a few people in this building who have had knee surgery and scars that show, but they walk fine, don't even have a limp, and they are receiving disability. I don't know much about the whole process, but it doesn't seem fair to me.

Unless you know someone's complete medical history it is better not to make assumptions in my opinion. Like your daughter they could have a chronic condition that is not easily seen. They could have heart disease. They could have a psychiatric issue like posttraumatic stress. There are many possibilities. Certainly there are people who use the system but I would not make an assumption about an individual unless you know all the details of their health.
Honored Contributor

It never fails to amaze me how people begrudge SSD to people who say they have medical disabilities when big business and the banks are ripping off the taxpayers every day. I still remember my sociology professor saying how people still believe people on welfare are living high on the hog. I'm not saying people don't abuse the system, but what would happen with no safety net.

Respected Contributor

On 3/18/2015 bikerbabe said:
On 3/18/2015 Ford1224 said:

There are a few people in this building who have had knee surgery and scars that show, but they walk fine, don't even have a limp, and they are receiving disability. I don't know much about the whole process, but it doesn't seem fair to me.

Unless you know someone's complete medical history it is better not to make assumptions in my opinion. Like your daughter they could have a chronic condition that is not easily seen. They could have heart disease. They could have a psychiatric issue like posttraumatic stress. There are many possibilities. Certainly there are people who use the system but I would not make an assumption about an individual unless you know all the details of their health.

I have to agree with you bikerbabe. And I will also agree that disability is hard to get, as it should be. But there are always those that fall through the cracks. I don't know what the solution is to that problem. I am not sure there is a solution that will be 100% accurate.

Respected Contributor

On 3/18/2015 baker said:

It never fails to amaze me how people begrudge SSD to people who say they have medical disabilities when big business and the banks are ripping off the taxpayers every day. I still remember my sociology professor saying how people still believe people on welfare are living high on the hog. I'm not saying people don't abuse the system, but what would happen with no safety net.

I would never believe that they live "high on the hog". But it is a statistical fact that there are now generations of folks that are perfectly happy to live on welfare. People that are perfectly capable of working. Those people drain the system for folks that really need a helping hand.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/18/2015 baker said:

A high profile media person said anyone with a refrigerator who was on "welfare" wasn't poor and deserving.{#emotions_dlg.sad}

Respected Contributor

On 3/18/2015 Lila Belle said:
On 3/18/2015 baker said:

A high profile media person said anyone with a refrigerator who was on "welfare" wasn't poor and deserving.{#emotions_dlg.sad}

So that was one idiots opinion. How does that address the problem?

Esteemed Contributor

read the post I was responding to.

BTW, the number of people on disability is less than 10 million out a population of 320 million Americans.

Super Contributor

On 3/18/2015 baker said:

What would happen if no safety net? Ummmm, people scamming the system would work or something to get money to live off of. That's probably a high percentage currently in the system. I wouldn't say people are living high on the hog, but some (those who lied into the system) have it better than a single person working full time at minimum wage.
Esteemed Contributor

$800 or so a month is living high on the hog ?