Super Contributor

Question about born-again Irises

Greetings green-thumb ladies!

I had been growing Irises for a while and last year I got tired of them and tasked my yard people will pulling them out (which they did, last fall). I thought they had gotten them all until this spring.

Now I see itty bitty spikes coming up where the irises were supposed to have been removed. I'm wondering if, when the bulbs were pulled out, could little bulblets have fallen off the mother bulb and stayed in the soil, and that's what's coming up now?

I love to get out in the garden and get dirty but I have arthritis so I can't do as much as I want, and pulling out bulbs of any kind is beyond me. I have the most wonderful yard guys in the world who will do any job for me if I ask them nicely. Recently they planted a bare-root apple tree, a whole lot of bulbs and shrubs in a newly cleared area, and just yesterday the planted dahlia bulbs to line my white picket fence.

Anyway, and thoughts you might have about what's going on with my iris patch would be gratefully accepted.

Honored Contributor

Re: Question about born-again Irises

Sounds like a few of the rhizomes were large enough to generate foliage. You may get flowers if the rhizomes were big enough.

From a fact sheet on Irises:

"Irises, except the bulbous types, are propagated by
simple division of the rhizomes. The division of the
bearded iris are called “fans” and consist of one of the
fan-like clusters of leaves with a 2-to-3 inch-long section
of the attached rhizomes. The plants are usually
divided in early July just after they bloom. With a sharp
spade, the individual fans may be dug and separated or
the clump may be cut into sections of several fans. It is
good practice to cut off one-half or two-thirds of the leaf
surface at the time of transplanting, unless a clump is
moved with a ball of earth. Divisions set in July form
roots and new growth before winter"

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Super Contributor

Thank you! When I read about rhizomes, I realized that's what I was thinking of as "bulblets". Will these second generation flowers look the same as the parents ones?

This is what I love about gardening; every year--every season, sometimes--brings something new and exciting. I can hardly wait for these things to grow up. BTW, should I fertilize them? I was thinking of using a little bone meal or alfalfa meal.

Super Contributor

Oh sheesh. When I read your title, I thought it was a new religion. Obviously I am not one with a green thumb. {#emotions_dlg.blushing}

Honored Contributor

On 3/19/2015 Justina rae said:

Oh sheesh. When I read your title, I thought it was a new religion. Obviously I am not one with a green thumb. {#emotions_dlg.blushing}

As did I.

Irises are not easy to clear out due to their rhizomes.

I have had 3 (yellow, lavender, maroon) huge beds of Irises for more years than I can remember. I have never fertilized them yet every year they come hardier than ever. Every now and then an odd color one will appear in the "wrong" bed.

Honored Contributor

On 3/19/2015 Stella Dallas said:

Thank you! When I read about rhizomes, I realized that's what I was thinking of as "bulblets". Will these second generation flowers look the same as the parents ones?

This is what I love about gardening; every year--every season, sometimes--brings something new and exciting. I can hardly wait for these things to grow up. BTW, should I fertilize them? I was thinking of using a little bone meal or alfalfa meal.

I think if these rhizomes were a part of the originals, the colors should be true. Re; fertilizer,-- try some compost or a balanced fertilizer with even amounts of nitrogen, phosphorus & potassium.

Scroll down this link to read about Iris Culture & Problems for more information.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Super Contributor

Thank you! I'm having so much fun!