Honored Contributor

Re: It's Time for............

@grandma r wrote:

I think it's a cute idea.  He/she helps to keep the magic alive.  Kids grow up so fast today;  nothing wrong with believing that the elf appears.

I love some of the names the little ones come up with.  I also appreciate how creative the parents are.  Yes, I know many find it a pain, but, think of the memories. 

And, yes, this year every elf I know of is in quarantine for 14 days!!!

@grandma r   The original intent of this elf was to spy during the day and fly back to the North Pole each night to report to Santa as to who had been naughty or nice during the day.

This is the issue many people have with the elf.

If the elf is just used for fun without children being told the elf is watching and reporting, then I think whatever fun everyone had is fine.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

We never used the elf.

I also never told my son Santa was watching him and he had better behave or he will not get what he wants for Christmas.

Fun is one thing; the use of Santa and/or elves to encourage "good" behavior is another thing.

(And children still get their presents so who is really falling for all of this???  LOL)

Honored Contributor

fRe: It's Time for............

The Elf on the Shelf seems harmless and for the children I know, they see it is a fun time searching for it.  The parents do not use it as a discipline tool either.

I am an older woman and still watch every Christmas cartoon along with the movies. I love Rudolph, The Year Without a Santa Claus, Frosty, Drummer Boy and others, too many to list.  Why not .  My point is if the elf isn't doing harm let it be.  There is enough to fear from humans.

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@mac116 wrote:

My grandkids have loved it!  They look forward to the elf hunt each morning.

They also have a religious Advent calendar.  Not creepy at all to me...harmless fun.

@mac116  - Our 7 year old granchild lives with us and we don't use it as a way to keep him in line or anything negative.  Every morning, he enjoys running around the house looking for the elf.   As you said, it's harmless fun and why not let him believe in the magic of Christmas before it's time to grow up.

@San Antonio Gal   That was the whole point of Elf on a Shelf-to report each night to Santa who was naughty.

Using the elf in a fun way is different and not the original intent.

I think if people find it "creepy" that is fine.  We all have our own opinions of the elf.   Being watched for Santa isn't quite the Christmas spirit.

Those who enjoy, enjoy.

Those who do not, it's not taking away anyting magical.

Esteemed Contributor

No need for Santa or elves to social distance.  They are immuned to COVID.  Ahh, the magic of Christmas!