Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

You have to keep things in perspective and avoid taking things literally.  If someone says "this is the best cake I ever had" do you really think it's the best cake they ever had?  The hosts are selling stuff, they have make the sale,  

Exactly.

They also say, "This is a must-have!"  Is it really a must-have?  I mean, do we HAVE to have it?  Is it as essential as say air or water or food?  Of course not.  When they say, "It will be your favorite thing in your home", do they mean that I'll love it more than I love my children or my dog or the quilt that was handmade by my beloved grandmother?  Of course not.   It's salespeak, all of it.

Anyone who takes any of it literally is in for a whole lot of angst and anxiety.

Respected Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@algin wrote:

I get really offended when a host describes a piece of clothing by saying "It's EVERYTHING".  Other than as something to cover the body, a piece of clothing has no real value to someone who's starving...or a refugee trying to get their family out of a war zone to safety...or someone with a serious illness...and on and on.  To say a blouse or a skirt or slacks is everything just seems so shallow and completely self-absorbed and lacking in awareness of what is actually improtant in life... especially considering the world we now inhabit.  I'm not trying to be PC, I'm truly upset by this.

It's hyperbole.  You can't be serious.

I agree, and I can understand perhaps finding those words annoying.  But "truly upset"?  That I just don't understand at all.

I'm also not sure what any of this has to do with "the world we now inhabit".  They say whatever they think will make viewers feel they absolutely must have whatever is being sold.  It's all about sales, and really nothing more than that.  No one in their right mind thinks that a piece of clothing will solve every problem in the world or that it matters more than anything else.  And that's not what they're saying.

Being upset about this doesn't do a thing to help refugess or people with serious illness.  With all due respect, I think the OP would be better off directing her energies elsewhere.

It might even be considered arrogant to assume the T-shirt hawkers should have a consciousness of world issues and somehow reflect that in their corporate-approved spiels. What right do any of us have to dictate their level of consciousness and expect them to piously exempt the word "everything" from their descriptors because it doesn't include world peace? It's an inappropriate demand of working stiffs, and in this final hour of Labor Day, I assert their right to ply their trade just as inanely as they usually do. So there. Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

How about the new host Alex who dies over everything. "Oh I'm dead" "I'm dead over this"..........and so on. Must have heard her being dead over something at least 3 times in 15 min early this morning. Some other phrase as well over & over, think it was "Are you kidding me" or something along those lines. Finally woke up enough to turn the tv back off.  Think it was Isaac who started the "it's everything" then it started spreading to the others.

@shaggygirl  I think I'd have to chalk this up to the host having a limited vocabulary. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@tansy wrote:

What exactly do you want the host to say when trying to sell a top, @algin?

I don't recall hearing a host use that term.  

@tansy  I also never heard a host at QVC say anything close to what the OP says she heard.  Should they present an item of clothing and say "This is nothing?" 

Issac and Susan Graver say it and I dont  watch either of them for very long

this color is EVERYTHING

this detail is EVERYTHING

It is dramatic and annoying

they sound like 14yr olds

Honored Contributor

@JobGirl wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@tansy wrote:

What exactly do you want the host to say when trying to sell a top, @algin?

I don't recall hearing a host use that term.  

@tansy  I also never heard a host at QVC say anything close to what the OP says she heard.  Should they present an item of clothing and say "This is nothing?" 

Issac and Susan Graver say it and I dont  watch either of them for very long

this color is EVERYTHING

this detail is EVERYTHING

It is dramatic and annoying

they sound like 14yr olds

QVC or elsewhere, if you listen to them for more than 5 min, many designers sound like 14 year olds. They are always All About the Buzz and the overly dramatic. It's a "designer thing." Certainly for IM, part of his Act (which is a waste of time & effort AFAIC).

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

That phrase doesn't bother me.  When I hear it, I interpret it as "it's everything you'd want a garment to be."    I don't interpret it in the broader sense of food, shelter, and other necessities of my life.

The only phrase that has ever really bothered me, that used to be used more often on QVC but is still used by Susan Graver (the few times I've seen her lately which is rarely) is "it's no money."   I think that is really insensitive to people who don't have a lot of money to spend on clothing.   I've never seen any clothing offered on QVC for free.  An offer of free shipping and handling would be "no money" but not the clothing item.

Saying something is "no money" is terribly insensitive to viewers who can't afford whatever the item is, or who are straining their budget by purchasing it.  It may be "no money" to multimillionaire Susan Graver, but it can be plenty money to a lot of viewers watching.

Super Contributor

@algin wrote:

I get really offended when a host describes a piece of clothing by saying "It's EVERYTHING".  Other than as something to cover the body, a piece of clothing has no real value to someone who's starving...or a refugee trying to get their family out of a war zone to safety...or someone with a serious illness...and on and on.  To say a blouse or a skirt or slacks is everything just seems so shallow and completely self-absorbed and lacking in awareness of what is actually improtant in life... especially considering the world we now inhabit.  I'm not trying to be PC, I'm truly upset by this.

I can't imagine taking a sales pitch that seriously..I'd be in a constant state of angst. 

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

That phrase doesn't bother me.  When I hear it, I interpret it as "it's everything you'd want a garment to be."    I don't interpret it in the broader sense of food, shelter, and other necessities of my life.

The only phrase that has ever really bothered me, that used to be used more often on QVC but is still used by Susan Graver (the few times I've seen her lately which is rarely) is "it's no money."   I think that is really insensitive to people who don't have a lot of money to spend on clothing.   I've never seen any clothing offered on QVC for free.  An offer of free shipping and handling would be "no money" but not the clothing item.

Saying something is "no money" is terribly insensitive to viewers who can't afford whatever the item is, or who are straining their budget by purchasing it.  It may be "no money" to multimillionaire Susan Graver, but it can be plenty money to a lot of viewers watching.

ITA with your entire post, @Pearlee, for all the reasons you state. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I've never been offended by anything a host has said.  I might think some of the sayings are unprofessional, not the best thing to be said on tv., insensitive, etc. but nothing has been offensive to me.

Isaac is one who I hear using the "it's everything" phrase all the time.  It just doesn't bother me.

It also doesn't bother me in the least for anyone to use the phrase it's no money or that an easypay isn't even noticeable on your CC.  Everyone is at a different economic level.  There will always be people that have more money than I do and people who have less money.  If I had to struggle to buy something from QVC, I shouldn't be shopping on QVC.  Again, no money is just a phrase used to get you to part with your money.       

Honored Contributor

Well to me, "no money" means free.  So I really don't think anyone who is selling something on QVC - that costs money - should be saying it's "no money"  whether anyone finds it an offensive phrase or not (and I certainly understand people not finding it so  @Lipstickdiva.)  Hmmmm....wonder what the QVC legal dept. thinks of that particular selling point.