Esteemed Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

I'm so confused.

@Mj12 

How do you do ... I'm Bewildered ... nice to meet you.

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

Gives us even more confidence in our medical "experts."  Right.

Too funny - the press goes ballistic over a drug that seems to work - OMG don't offer it to anyone it's snake oil.  All because they don't like the person who commented on the results and gave people the right to try - rather than just die on a ventilator.

But the presss extolls testing and complains that we don't have "enough" tests - because THAT is the answer to everything (before we get the vaccine which is supposed to be the next answer). 

And now we find out the tests may not work even as well as the drug that is supposed to be so terrible.

Oh yea, supreme confidence in the medical community... Smiley Wink Doubly not sure of the value of a test that might or might not be accurate, especially when regardless of the outcome there's no real proven treatment and no vaccine... And, when there is a vaccine, assuming there will eventually be one... let's hope it's more reliable than the annual flu shots... Moving on...

I've said from the beginning I would be very leary about a vaccine for this.  I don't want some haphazard, slapped together vaccine and then a few years down the road we will find out it causes various cancers, etc.

Honored Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

Gives us even more confidence in our medical "experts."  Right.

Too funny - the press goes ballistic over a drug that seems to work - OMG don't offer it to anyone it's snake oil.  All because they don't like the person who commented on the results and gave people the right to try - rather than just die on a ventilator.

But the presss extolls testing and complains that we don't have "enough" tests - because THAT is the answer to everything (before we get the vaccine which is supposed to be the next answer). 

And now we find out the tests may not work even as well as the drug that is supposed to be so terrible.

@Isobel Archer  I have a loved one on the front lines. He’s been treating Covid 19 patients for weeks. He’s been lukewarm about the treatment hydroxychloroquine + z pac all along and never once has he mentioned this is because of a politician supporting it. It’s because he didn’t have actual results to report either way. He kept telling me they’d know more once their initial vent patients started being weaned off the vents. I, otoh, was excited after seeing this drug combo mentioned on Dr. Oz. I was sure it would work and kept my positive attitude and I kept bugging him. 

Last week the weaning process started. Again I’m clamoring for info. He’s putting me off so I have to keep waiting. Finally I pinned him down. I wanted to know, is this combo helping a lot of people? Half? How many? He sighed and said, “some”, with a very unenthusiastic tone. That was it. That’s all. And they weren’t even sure the survivors lived because of this combo. They’re losing patients even though they’re trying so hard to save them. That’s what they know for sure. 

So, now I want to know if they’re changing their protocol at all. Adding to the treatment steps they already have? Continuing with that combo?  What about convalescent plasma? Remdesivir?  

@Kalli, it might have been on 60 Minutes or another news story that indicated that Remdesivir as being very promising.

Too many very serious complications with hydroxychloroquine.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

For some excellent thinking on the challenges that may be encountered in creating an effective vaccine for this coronavirus--or why it may be impossible to do so--please read this post by @Jersey Born:

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Community-Chat/UPDATE-ON-VACCINE-PROGRESS/m-p/6174386/highlight/true#M1...

Jersey Born touches on a possible paradox that's bedeviled the fight against Dengue fever, which is a vaccine sensitizing people, for lack of a better term, to the disease, so that when they're stung by a mosquito and develop Dengue, they get it much worse than they would have if they'd never had the vaccine. Sobering stuff.

Hey, NY, get your mask on!