Honored Contributor

Re: Isn't it surprising the amount of "views" on posts?!

@Nancy Drew wrote:

I am not surprised at all. I know exactly why I have drastically cut my posting. People do what is enjoyable, once the fun is gone they stop. 

I agree.

Honored Contributor

It's just one of the reasons that I always have an eye roll when some posters here say, "we all feel this way" or even, "the majority of your viewers feel this way QVC..." based on the posts here.

The number of people that actually post or even heart a post, is such a tiny percentage compared to the number of people who visit but only read.

Honored Contributor

Way back when, they used to post the number of people currently on the forums, but they stopped that. It was a pretty large number most of the time (thousands). On every forum there are way more lurkers than posters. Many people just like to read what others are thinking/saying. The forums aren't as busy these days with many people now more involved in other forms of social media (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc.) In the forums where you can see the posters versus the lurkers, lurkers typically outnumber posters by ten to one or more. A hundred to one or more isn't unusual.

Back in season eleven of Big Brother with Jeff and Jordan we were getting twenty to twenty-five thousand views a day on the daily updates. We'd have maybe twenty or so people actually posting each day, but a whole lot of people reading. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I didn't even notice that they had replaced this feature. 

Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

Way back when, they used to post the number of people currently on the forums, but they stopped that. It was a pretty large number most of the time (thousands). On every forum there are way more lurkers than posters. Many people just like to read what others are thinking/saying. The forums aren't as busy these days with many people now more involved in other forms of social media (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc.) In the forums where you can see the posters versus the lurkers, lurkers typically outnumber posters by ten to one or more. A hundred to one or more isn't unusual.

Back in season eleven of Big Brother with Jeff and Jordan we were getting twenty to twenty-five thousand views a day on the daily updates. We'd have maybe twenty or so people actually posting each day, but a whole lot of people reading. 

@gardenman.  They show online now 1251 and you can see the names of posters online. We used to wonder if this amount was just for posters posting or shoppers also.

Click on blogs and forums and scroll down on the left.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@gardenman.  They show online now 1251 and you can see the names of posters online. We used to wonder if this amount was just for posters posting or shoppers also.

Click on blogs and forums and scroll down on the left.

I missed that. It used to show up top on the old forums.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

On the old forums, you used to be able to click the title of the thread and the views would increase for every click.  

Honored Contributor

There are many threads that I don't open.  Just not of interest to me, or I may not care for the individual that started the thread.

Yes, there are many that just read and never post.  And maybe that is good.  Who knows????

I do know that there are a few that I try to stay away from, and if I see they are posting, I will refrain from posting for a while....until they have quit posting.....then when I feel it is safe, I may post again.  This happens more often than not.  Especially if hearts are given, and they are from some that I don't particularly care about.  You know that old saying "birds of a feather, flock together."  This happens a lot when a thread has been closed for posting, and hearts are given to the Moderator that closed it.  

Respected Contributor

I don’t even understand how they track viewing a post.  It’s not like you hit something  to indicate you are viewing a post.  If you do a scroll drive by do they count that as a view?  I don’t get it.  

Respected Contributor

I read far more than i post.

I look at thread titles and view the ones that sound interesting. I don't pay much attention to who started the thread or who else is posting on it.  That kind of clique-ish behavior was more prevalent back in the days of less moderation.

Everyone who comes here is entitled to a voice. I may not agree with them and say so, but I would hate to think someone would be driven out by feeling they can't post their thoughts.