Respected Contributor

That people in business don't get back to you or ignore their responsibilities?  We're pretty easy going and give people the benefit of the doubt.  But this year.....

Had a dentist appointment Monday, was told by the dentist to expect a call from her office Tuesday to schedule another appointment.  Nope, no call.

Tuesday, was to receive a telemed call that had been scheduled a month ago, and confirmed the day prior.  Nope, no call.  And to boot the same thing happened last month.  I called the office Tuesday and am stilll waiting to hear back.

Contracted to have a whole house generator installed.  Electrician was more then attentive when we and our neighbors were making our decision.  Told us the install was to be the last week of July or first week of August.  Well it hasn't happened and he has not called.  But he did go on vacation with his girlfriend per social media.

Getting bids for new windows.  Contacted three very reputable vendors.  All immediately responded and visited.  Two provided bids within 48 hours or less.  The third didn't submit a bid and didn't respond to our calls; finally replied to an email that they didn't want take on the job.

There are a couple of other incidents that also occuried.  

Geez, is it like this everywhere?  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is this the norm?

[ Edited ]

Well I made a $1500 deposit in the first week of May on something that was to be done and given mid june to mid july for installment. Now the contract and the follow-up e-mail did say that time frame was not carved in stone. Weather & Covid & amount of workers available (again related to Covid) could change that. But an email or phone call reassuring me I've been delayed but not forgotten would be appreciated. Guess I'll have to take the bull by the horns.

Then another big project in my back yard having to do with my pool....started out with responsive emails & phone calls and price agreed upon and said get in touch if I have anymore questions. I sent 2 emails with questions..........crickets.

Honored Contributor

In my experience, this is "the norm".

Honored Contributor

One big thing I've learned from watching Judge Judy and The People's Court for as long as they've been on:

When it comes to a contract, you need to add the words "Time is of the essence" in order to enforce a date for work to be started and finished.

Respected Contributor

@shaggygirl   I wish I could say that weather and Covid, were the reason for all my instances.   Not in one instance does that apply.   These folks all seem pretty decent, and we are not nags.  Just is disappointing.

Honored Contributor

I found it common among independent contractors and newer small companies.  They race to give estimates, may over schedule themselves, then are late or can't do the job.

I would never give a down payment to any of them. Not paying for work until the job is done is the norm.  If the work is not to our satisfaction, they are not paid until it is.  

Also, keep in mind, the independents are the group more likely to take advantage of older folks, particularly women.  

Look for well established companies with references and high ratings.  I use my electric company or one that only provides electrical services that's been in business for years. They may be a little more expensive, but give free estimates, don't require a down payment, and guarantee their work.

As for medical personnel, doesn't say much about their ethics.  Not calling for your appointment that was scheduled is inexcusable.  

Honored Contributor

I think that kind of behavior has been around for decades, but I think it's more common now or we're just way more aware of how common it is because we hear/see the stories from all over the nation whereas in the past, we knew only our own story and that of a few neighbors and friends.

Also, right now even though there are millions of unemployed, if their skills don't match with the business that needs employees, both are out of luck.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are few people qualified to do many jobs and if  they can collect $600.00 in addition to unemployment benefits that will be their choice. I have several friends whose kids are loving it. In addition several of them have jobs where they get paid in cash which is bringing their weekly incomes up to $1500.00. Lots of unsolved problems in the world. 

Finding a fair, competent person to do many jobs is becoming more and more difficult. They seldom show up when they say they will and often the work is mediocre at best. The prices are usually steep.

Honored Contributor
We have been trying to hire a contractor to do some taping and texture on our walls.....have had three come and look.....said they would send the bid that evening. No calls, no emails, no nothing. Trying to check on a bank thing....B of A is down in the mortgage dept and says to come into the “financial center” ...isn’t that what most people call the bank? All of this is being blamed on the coronavirus. I blame it on apathy or incompetence.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Allegheny  I have experienced the same issues. I figured  "boy business must be good to not call back or follow up with a client."   SO RUDE.

Thankfully over the years I have compiled a list of people  I can. use that gave me wonderful service....but I had to weed out the bad ones to find the flowers.

I pay more if need be for better service