Respected Contributor

Sounds like he may be meditating or could have in earbuds and listening to music.  This also may be what he views as "his" time, before a hectic day begins.  It may be his only quiet time of the day.

Honored Contributor

@ChiliPepper wrote:

I think the OP is smart to be observant of her surroundings - that's not over the top to me.

Peeking in someone's windows day in & day out - ok, that's stalkerish but she is not doing that - she is observing her surroundings. Come on, a man sitting on the ground in the pitch black at 4 AM - that's odd. Hopefully not dangerous but odd.

My neighbors used to be outside in the pitch black at all hours. I knew because my cat would run to the window & alert me. I realized they were smoking, just didn't turn on the outside light while they were doing it. 

@ChiliPepper  Come on!  The man is sitting on his property. He can do what ever he wants at any time. Of the day.   He is not loud, he is not naked....he is not doing anything to get concerned with.  I am more concerned with the OP being so creepy and all consumed with a nieghbor doing nothing illegal or otherwise.  She needs to go to bed.

Honored Contributor

It has occured to me that perhaps he's sitting there because he gets better reception on his phone. My neighbors across from me will come outside and walk a bit away to speak on their phone because inside the reception isn't good. The topography blocks the nearest tower somewhat. 

Contributor

I think it is odd for a person to peer out their windows in the middle of the night to the point that you can document a person's every move right down to the minute.

My son was a 911 dispatcher for years on the overnight shift and he would tell me of calls he would get from residents at all hours of the night reporting suspicious people in their neighborhoods.  Oftentimes the "suspcious" person would be coming home from work or some other personal business.  Many of the calls would get to the point that they are "profiling" certain groups of people.   

You need to go to bed or find something else to do with yourself.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden

Yes, he is on his property & no he is not loud or naked. He can do what he wants on his property - I agree. 

However, I do find it odd that someone would sit on the ground in the pitch dark at 4 AM. If he was sitting in a chair at 3 pm I probably wouldn't give it much thought.

The OP asked if we thought it was odd, I do & I stand by that.

Like I said, if it were me, I would keep my eyes & ears open - as I would any other odd behaviour. I wouldn't let it control my life however.

Respected Contributor

Perhaps looking out the back window for a change?

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Esteemed Contributor

You said he starts work late mornings or midday.

If he works a full shift, goes home and goes to bed,

he would just be getting up around 4am.

Have you gotten out the binoculars to check him for earbuds yet.               

🌠

🔭 

Respected Contributor

@Shorty2U

"Lastly we only know our new next door neighbors (very nice young couple). Because no one around here says hello or talks to each other! (Something I found weird since moving here 11 years ago because i lived in the city where people were friendly!) "

You've been in the neighborhood 11 years.  Why don't you introduce yourself to the new neighbors? 

There are any number of reasons why this man is outside every day at the same time.  Why not ask him?

Honored Contributor

Does he smoke by any chance?

My aunt moved in with her son and DIL, and she was an early riser and a smoker.....  Her son wouldn't let her smoke in the house so about 4:30 AM she would get up and go sit in the rocker on the front porch and smoke.....she said she enjoyed the early morning hours.......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

Yes indeed.  Seems odd to me.  Also creepy. 

Maybe you could break him of the habit if you popped your head out the front door at that hour and said hello.  He might be surprised that someone knows what he's doing. 

If for some reason he is up to no good, it would also let him know that others are awake and alert, too, at that hour.