On 3/10/2015 SoftRaindrops said:
On 3/10/2015 hyacinth003 said:
On 3/10/2015 Irshgrl31201 said:
On 3/10/2015 Irshgrl31201 said:
On 3/10/2015 hyacinth003 said:

Hyacinth, didn't they explain to her prior to this advancement what the requirements would be and what she would be paid for?

I think it is unfair but unfortunately, businesses today can be ruthless....

Congratulations, though, to your daughter for a job well done. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

No, they didn't tell her any of this!

They are not big on information!

Hyacinth

Very unfair! And as a mom, myself, this would be very upsetting for me. I know how hard your daughter worked to get this job and she certainly deserved to be told she wouldn't be getting paid for the training period.{#emotions_dlg.sad}

Maybe next time she should ask for everything in writing. Her employer should make it very clear, what is paid and not paid.

I agree with this. If she is working for the same company that she did in some of the OPs prior posts it does sound as though they have tried to take advantage of her daughter several times in the past.

Hi Irsh, I agree with you. I think they have a good worker in Hyacinth's daughter and they are really pushing the envelope here.....taking advantage of a loyal employee.

It certainly sounds like it!

Thank you, ladies.

Since my daughter has an autism spectrum disorder, I have had to work with her a LOT about a work place. Have had to "talk her down" so many times!! Especially early on. I encouraged her to apply for the management position to help her have some kind of advancement. Hope it will help her down the line for another career!

She is really smart, but needs a lot of help with social interactions and how to deal with people. She has had a crash course in the public, coworkers, and management.

She really wants to do well. She's not the fastest person, but she is intelligent.

Hyacinth

Hyacinth, I applaud your patience and understanding. You are a wonderful mom and your posts are always so loving when you speak of your daughter. I really believe in my heart that your daughter will do very well in life because she has you as her mom. And I mean that sincerely.....

I agree with that.

Me too!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Is this a common work experience?

This a good example of why unions are important.

If she had a union to protect her rights, this employer wouldn't be able to abuse her by not paying her for the time spent on a mandatory class, and it would protect her from the threat of retaliation by the employer.

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent
Honored Contributor

Lion: Yes, very true. Some companies are ethical, etc. (I was/have been very fortunate.) Others, not so much.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

On 3/10/2015 Lion said:

This a good example of why unions are important.

If she had a union to protect her rights, this employer wouldn't be able to abuse her by not paying her for the time spent on a mandatory class, and it would protect her from the threat of retaliation by the employer.

I've been thinking the same thing.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

I worked at drive-in restaurant for almost 6 years from the age of 12 till the age of 17. I worked in many different capacities during those years ranging from waiting tables, busing tables, working the fountain, cooking and also driving a delivery truck. Was also the manager of this large restaurant and drive in one night a week at the age of 15.

Realize this was a long time ago but my experience was I received the same salary doing all of the above mentioned jobs until I was vetted to be fully capable of doing the job without a problem. now my experience for a unionized job was much different. while training other people to run machines I was paid one pay grade higher than my regular pay as long as I was the trainer.

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

There are no laws that dictate that you have to be paid for classes like this...just like some professionals are required by law to take continuing education to renew their licenses...but, the employer will neither pay for the class nor for your time off to take the class. Fringe benefits are discussed when you take the job. Beyond that, if you want to advance, you have to pay for your own continuing education and whatever else the employer mandates. I agree that it is not fair, but that's the way the game is played.

One of my sisters was offered a promotion, but she has to earn her master's degree within 5 years of taking the job. That isn't easy to do while holding down a full-time job, raising a family, and taking classes at night. She has to pay all her own tuition and books....no tuition reimbursement.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Respected Contributor

Teachers, in order to keep their certification, are often required to take graduate classes. Those can cost up to $1000 each. Teachers pay for them on their own.

It's the same thing, but magnified.

Super Contributor

On 3/10/2015 Madisson said:

There are no laws that dictate that you have to be paid for classes like this...just like some professionals are required by law to take continuing education to renew their licenses...but, the employer will neither pay for the class nor for your time off to take the class. Fringe benefits are discussed when you take the job. Beyond that, if you want to advance, you have to pay for your own continuing education and whatever else the employer mandates. I agree that it is not fair, but that's the way the game is played.

One of my sisters was offered a promotion, but she has to earn her master's degree within 5 years of taking the job. That isn't easy to do while holding down a full-time job, raising a family, and taking classes at night. She has to pay all her own tuition and books....no tuition reimbursement.

100% correct.

Honored Contributor

On 3/10/2015 Plaid Pants said:
On 3/10/2015 Madisson said:

100% correct.

This is just my opinion, but I can understand that for professionals, it was common with my profession, also.

But not for young people making minimum wage or not much more. That's just wrong.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

As an RN, I have always been paid for any classes taken outside of work if they were mandatory for the job.

I have been paid for meetings that I had to come in for.

Whatever position I have held, I was paid in full for the orientation period.

One of the criteria I have heard is that if the class has value to only your particular job, it must be reimbursed.

The only exception was that if you were say pursuing an advanced degree, the employer would pay for the classes (tuition reimbursement), but not your time. That was considered a job benefit.

Same with continuing education credits. To obtain relicensing, you must have continuing eduction credits, but the employer does not necessarily pay for it.

In my opinion, she should have been paid for this class. She would have had no reason to take it other than for this particular job.

As to a union, I think things like this would be spelled out in the contract.

Hyacinth