Honored Contributor

Re: Is there a link between lead and so many diagnoses of mental illness ?

I have always used a high quality three stage water filter just for the reason of water that is not as pure as you would like to think. I never drink out of the tap, and have shower and bathtub filters as well so only clean pure water for the most part is on my skin as well.  I do think our water is a major contributer to illness in many communities with older pipes and poor monitoring by the water companies.

Honored Contributor

I think street drugs/addiction is a major factor in violent behavior.

Such as Crack, Cocaine, PCP, LSD (yes, it's still around!), Ecstasy, Meth, etc.

Many of these drugs cause delusions and hallucinations and an addict will sell their Grandma into the sx slave trade for another fix.

JMO.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

I think street drugs/addiction is a major factor in violent behavior.

Such as Crack, Cocaine, PCP, LSD (yes, it's still around!), Ecstasy, Meth, etc.

Many of these drugs cause delusions and hallucinations and an addict will sell their Grandma into the sx slave trade for another fix.

JMO.

I agree - and yet many insist that selling those drugs to vulnerable people is a nonviolent crime that does not deserve hard time.

Trusted Contributor

Link between lead poisoning and violent behavior?  Absolutely.  I've copied the very beginning of essay dealing with this topic.  You can use the info provided to google and read for yourselves if you have interest.  Unfortunately I think too many will sluff it off by saying - yeah there's a link - a lead pipe over the head.

Lead Exposure and Violent Crime in the Early Twentieth Century∗
James J. Feigenbaum and Christopher Muller
January 26, 2016

Abstract

In the second half of the nineteenth century, many American cities built water systems using lead or iron service pipes. Municipal water systems generated significant public health improvements, but these improvements may have been partially offset by the damaging effects of lead exposure through lead water pipes. We study the effect of cities’ use of lead pipes on homicide between 1921 and 1936. Lead water pipes exposed entire city populations to much higher doses of lead than have previously been studied in relation to crime. Our estimates suggest that cities’ use of lead service pipes considerably increased city-level homicide rates.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I think it is universally accepted that crime and violence are due to the way children are raised - not the water.

No, it's not. That can be one of many factors, but it certainly isn't the final answer. If it were, how would you explain how the same parents can have multiple children with different demeanors, how some siblings end up doing well and others end up committing crimes? The ongoing Nature Vs Nurture has never been settled and I'm surprised to see anyone suggesting that there's any universal acceptance.

Respected Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I think it is universally accepted that crime and violence are due to the way children are raised - not the water.

No, it's not. That can be one of many factors, but it certainly isn't the final answer. If it were, how would you explain how the same parents can have multiple children with different demeanors, how some siblings end up doing well and others end up committing crimes? The ongoing Nature Vs Nurture has never been settled and I'm surprised to see anyone suggesting that there's any universal acceptance.

But wouldn't they all be drinking the same water as children too?

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Isobel Archer

The lead can be in the pipes.  When the tainted water is consumed by children, it affects their growing brain, giving many, many of them serious developmental problems.

The adult brain is already developed, so no, it doesn't not affect adults the same way it affects children.

Honored Contributor

@JillyMarie wrote:

Link between lead poisoning and violent behavior?  Absolutely.  I've copied the very beginning of essay dealing with this topic.  You can use the info provided to google and read for yourselves if you have interest.  Unfortunately I think too many will sluff it off by saying - yeah there's a link - a lead pipe over the head.

Lead Exposure and Violent Crime in the Early Twentieth Century∗
James J. Feigenbaum and Christopher Muller
January 26, 2016

Abstract

In the second half of the nineteenth century, many American cities built water systems using lead or iron service pipes. Municipal water systems generated significant public health improvements, but these improvements may have been partially offset by the damaging effects of lead exposure through lead water pipes. We study the effect of cities’ use of lead pipes on homicide between 1921 and 1936. Lead water pipes exposed entire city populations to much higher doses of lead than have previously been studied in relation to crime. Our estimates suggest that cities’ use of lead service pipes considerably increased city-level homicide rates.

Wouldn't the second half of the 20th century been 1950s on?

So the rise in crime was noted between 1921 - 1936.

Not arguing, am I reading this wrong?

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer  et al

THE EFFECTS OF LEAD POISONING ON CHILDREN

Each year in the United States, 310,000 1- to 5-year-old kids are found to have unsafe levels of lead in their blood, which can lead to a wide range of symptoms, from headaches and stomach pain to behavioral problems and anemia (not enough healthy red blood cells). Lead also can affect a child's developing brain.

http://kidshealth.org/en/parents/lead-poisoning.html

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Yes, but that doesn't mean anything. Lead levels fluctuate and can affect people differently at different life stages. A fetus, toddler, and adult exposed to lead won't all react the same way because they are not in the same stages of development. And they may be drinking the same water, but the lead content may not be the same because it can fluctuate over time. Look at Flint, MI, which has had a lead problem now for over a year. A 12 year old with a toddler brother won't be affected the same way.

And again, this may be one of MANY factors in determining how violent someone may be.

Some scientist in the 90s found what people named a "warrior gene" and said people with the gene are more prone to violence and more likely to wind up in prison. But other studies have shown that as many as 40% of the population may have the gene and that many of the people with the gene simply aren't violent. And yet there have been cases where this gene has been brought up in trial and people have gotten more lenient sentences because they argued that they couldn't fight their nature.

Why some people commit crimes or become violent and others is always going to be a question because there is no one right answer. There are many factors including education, poverty, opportunity, environment (people and physical), mental illness, etc. Most of the time, people are too complex to say it's definitely this or definitely that. That's why some abused children become abusers and some become social workers or police officers to help the abused.

Here's an article about the Warrior Gene: https://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/2014/10/29/genes-linked-to-violent-crime-but-can-they-explain... I first heard about it in the documentary Born to Rage.