Honored Contributor

Re: Is red meat OK to eat or not? Scientists uncertain

@novamc1 wrote:

I'm sure this story will be beaten to death in media nationwide before it's replaced by  yet another salvo in the food controversy.  

Maybe we should take the hint from scientists themselves...... even they acknowledge that .people will tune out all types of nutrition advice if the goalposts keep moving.

I'm just  going to stick with what has been working for me so far. 

@novamc1 

Heck, it'll be beaten to death on this board.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yeah, my PB boards have been talking a lot about this.

Annals of Internal Medicine have really shot themselves in the foot

with this one.  

The sources are shaky, at best.  

And because of the iffy sources, even pro-meat entities are 

distancing themselves with a report which would support 

their viewpoint.

An once-respected medical source is choosing to go by the way

of Clickbait.  THAT’S why everyone is up in arms over this.

THEIR medical sources are now being questioned because of

a medical source who has sold out.   

Hurts everyone in the entire medical research field. 

Dr. Neal Barnard is leading the charge to have this publication

retract their findings.

#CancerCausingClickBait

Honored Contributor

I'll just stick with everything in moderation, including whole milk, butter instead of margarine, etc.  Sugar really seems to be the only thing all the experts agree is bad, and I'm not giving that up either.

I do remember something my doctor said once when I was concerned about a study involving a medication I was on.  It's a statistic.  There is no indication of cause and effect.

Respected Contributor

@QueenDanceALot 

If someone starts claiming that a particular type of dietary regime is THE one and only answer to ideal nutrition, long life, good health....at least we know scientists themselves would classify that  as "an opinion", not a proven fact.

Honored Contributor

Well, the beef industry is currently advertising beef has the most perfect proteins the human body needs.  That's true.  So do other meats and eggs.  But we know they have a hidden agenda.  Worried about fake beef replacements.

As far as red meat goes, I'm more concerned about animal cruelty, fatty cuts, and rising prices, than what the latest crisis is regarding eating meat.  

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot 

If someone starts claiming that a particular type of dietary regime is THE one and only answer to ideal nutrition, long life, good health....at least we know scientists themselves would classify that  as "an opinion", not a proven fact.

@novamc1 

"If"?

Cat LOL

Honored Contributor

Scientists don't tell us what to eat and there are no definites when it comes to science and research.  They do the research, publish the papers and it's up to us to decide how to proceed.  It's a matter of common sense to me.  Yes, red meat is "ok" to eat but I don't eat red meat and haven't eaten red meat in years.  Except for the occasional ground beef in chili or pasta sauce.  There are lean cut red meats.  However, in general, red meat (I believe) increases LDL cholesterol which contributes to heart disease.  There is in many studies a correlation between red meat and colorectal cancer and some other cancers.  I don't believe it's been called a cause but I prefer to abstain from red meat for that reason too.  I don't miss red meat so, I'm not sacrificing anything.  Hubby does like his steaks and roasts, he has not cut red meat out of his diet but he doesn't consume it on a regular basis.  It's a special occasion treat for him now.  

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

Well, the beef industry is currently advertising beef has the most perfect proteins the human body needs.  That's true.  So do other meats and eggs.  But we know they have a hidden agenda.  Worried about fake beef replacements.

As far as red meat goes, I'm more concerned about animal cruelty, fatty cuts, and rising prices, than what the latest crisis is regarding eating meat.  

That is my concern.

Honored Contributor

I’m days away from turning 64; my body is happy with my lifestyle, I’m not about to change anything now.   

I don't smoke, drink, or do drugs, don’t play in traffic, don’t play with matches, don’t stick my fingers in fans or electrical sockets, never drive without my seatbelt, or drive faster than my guardian angel can fly, but red meat and pork will remain in my diet as long as I continue to have birthdays.

Respected Contributor

@QueenDanceALot 

You nailed it.....it's bound to happen.  LOL!!