Honored Contributor

Re: Is red meat OK to eat or not? Scientists uncertain

Scientists don't make my tummy happy.  Red meat does. Smiley Wink  

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My now-97-year-old-mother brought us up with tons of beef. She considered meat to be the most important part of the meal. I was never all that fond of beef but I ate plenty of it when I was a kid. I don’t eat much of it as an adult. I saw the most recent data on meat and, as with everything else, I have concluded that moderation is the key. To think that any particular diet will guarantee longevity is foolhardy. 

Honored Contributor

Coming from a family of meat eaters, 10 aunts and uncles, mother and father and five lived well into their 90's, the rest late 80's, I'd say it's not a problem.  We never ate a lot of fatty mean, they were lean meat eaters. 

It's what you eat and moderation in all things I think that keeps you going.  I know this will bring out the zealots in food ideas, but moderation workes well for my kinfolks! 

They did eat sausage and bacon once in awhile, but it wasn't a daily thing for sure. But we consumed a lot of lean, hormone free, pasture raised beef. 

Super Contributor

I have a 1/2 a beef in my freezer. I know who raises them etc....LOVE IT!!!!  Balance is key

Respected Contributor

I eat mostly what I want....but as I get older, I pay attention to my body.  It tells me if it likes what I'm feeding it!

A large portion of red meat sits in my stomach like a ton of lead....a small portion is fine.  Fatty or greasy foods give me heartburn if I have too much...so I limit it to just occasionally.  I used to drink 4-5 cups of coffee daily....now after the second cup I don't want any more.  Too many sweets upset my stomach....so I don't have them very often.   Same thing with raw onions...I love them, but they don't love me anymore!

But I like most foods, and so I won't say I will never have them.  Some people have medical conditions that require them to be strict....but fortunately that's not me.  As others have said, moderation is the key for me.

Respected Contributor

Limit or eliminate it.

There have been a lot of reports and studies that have concluded that it's healthier to avoid red meat.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

Red meat has no carbs either....so it’s hard to exclude it if you are wanting do eat “ healthy”. Whether it is healthy or not depends on who you ask.
Esteemed Contributor

@novamc1  I saw that article as well. Every so often some scientific paper comes out either for or against red meat. For sure , obesity is deadly - likewise abusing alcohol. Salt is bad for high blood pressure. But,you know what? My dad had the most healthy lifestyle and still passed away at the young age of 76. Why? He was a type AAA personality. He was permanently stressed. Stress will kill you! I was born stressed, so there's not much hope for me. My dad's mother, on the other hand, lived until she was 98. She ate everything in moderation, but she loved to eat our beef fat at Sunday meals! She weighed 95 lbs. soaking wet, and she hand-dug her veggie garden every year. Bottom line: everything in moderation and try not to stress - that's the big killer.

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
Red meat has no carbs either....so it’s hard to exclude it if you are wanting do eat “ healthy”. Whether it is healthy or not depends on who you ask.

@lovesrecess, healthful eating, IMO, means moderation rather than excluding a whole food group such as carbs. Even those who need to keep their carb intake under control still can chose from complex carbs.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

I'm sure this story will be beaten to death in media nationwide before it's replaced by  yet another salvo in the food controversy.  

Maybe we should take the hint from scientists themselves...... even they acknowledge that .people will tune out all types of nutrition advice if the goalposts keep moving.

I'm just  going to stick with what has been working for me so far. 

@novamc1   It will be beaten to death on this board, too.

Wait until the plant people chime in.  lmao

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh