Honored Contributor

Re: Is anyone here on TikTok?

Zoom is spyware too. Don't download or install any Chinese, Iranian, or Russian apps or software. Their spy services have backdoors to all their apps and software. You info is basically hacked immediately.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

TikTok is the natural evolution of the selfie.

Esteemed Contributor

Anything that’s probably worth seeing on Tik Tok usually finds its way on my local morning news. If it’s not there, then it’s probably not worth it. LOL
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@sunshine45  Safer from whom?  Although I did read that hacking accounts was a problem. But they were fined for something they did. Not outsiders. So from whom is it safer now...themselves?

Fox and hen house come to mind. 

@esmerelda 

is it really unlike any other social media sites we use? as with any social media sites, monitoring our own children is imperative. these are some of the things i have read about it......

you have to use privacy settings to limit how much information you and your kids are sharing.

you can also select who can send you comments and direct messages, and who can do a duet with you.

use "Friends" setting or turning those features off completely limits contact with strangers.

save it as "private" so only you can see.

you can use a block search feature.

parents can opt to turn on Screen Time Management, which limits users to two hours on the app per day, and Restricted Mode, which blocks some content.

the company asserts data on US users is stored in the United States.

tik toks US moderation team, which is led out of California, reviews content for adherence to our US policies.

back in october, 2019, a few members of congress advised national security agencies to investigate whether or not tik tok is a security threat.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Zoom is spyware too. Don't download or install any Chinese, Iranian, or Russian apps or software. Their spy services have backdoors to all their apps and software. You info is basically hacked immediately.

@Porcelain 

at this stage of the game it is too late. so many colleges/universites are using ZOOM now for classes. my daughter is on it every day.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Hmmm...my husband's family wants us to download Zoom so we can all play games together this coming week.  I've been dragging my heels about this...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tansy wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Hmmm...my husband's family wants us to download Zoom so we can all play games together this coming week.  I've been dragging my heels about this...

@tansy 

we have a lot of doctors and medical groups in the area are using zoom for appointments now.

some of the states court systems are also using zoom.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tansy wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Some businesses and schools are requiring Zoom too. And some are experiencing security problems. There are other apps you can use to play games and video chat. I pay attention to the About Us section on the webistes for the apps.

It's unlikely that anything bad would happen if you used Zoom. But just assume that your info is kind of publicly available when you use it.

Edited to add: Use a uniqe password for these apps and change if often.

"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@Porcelain 

at this stage of the game it is too late. so many colleges/universites are using ZOOM now for classes. my daughter is on it every day.

I know. Hopefully their IT and security teams are on top of it.