Super Contributor

Re: Is QVC main channel no longer 24/7 live?

[ Edited ]

Most stores are closed during the night, simply because it is not cost effective to stay open. Guessing that is the case here, not enough people are actually buying during those hours.

It makes sense that brick and mortar stores are closed during the night in their local areas (most Walmarts are open 24/7, however, as are many supermarkets and concenience stores).

But QVC isn't local. It broadcasts nationwide over 6 different time zones, and it appeals to people who work shift work, or who don't work due to being retired.

Super Contributor

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@kathya1119 wrote:

@Michelleqvc wrote:
They’re likely saving money on the behind the scene production team eho are likely freelancers as well. Nothing worse than having a Groundhog Day moment all night long. Can’t they at least out reruns of QVC2 on during those hours. No one gets that channel.

I get QVC2, and we had BeautyIQ from the beginning, So don't say no one gets that channel, because people certaily do.

Sorry, but you're wrong.  I don't get qvc2 or any other Q channel but the main one.  I have Comcast cable.  They only carry their main channel.  That's fine with me.  I don't watch qvc 24/7.  

Please read my post again. I didn't say everyone got it, and I didn't say YOU got it. But enough people get it that it's expanded its programming from just a couple of hours a day to roughly half the day.

And you can watch it on a computer, tablet, or smartphone. So whether or not your cable company offers it or not, it's stull accessible to you if you want it.

Super Contributor

@MaryLamb wrote:

@kathya1119 wrote:

The good news is that if QVC decides to take feedback from the forums seriously, they can examine complaints like yours, and check your account to make sure you’re actually spending money during the overnight hours rather than just complaining because you don’t like reruns.

Uh, no. You don't have to watch live to make a purchase from the overnight shows. There's this neat invention called the DVR, which a lot of us put to good use. I even have shows set to tape automatically so they record with no input from me.

A lot of the lines I purchase from have regular overnight shows -- Lock and Lock, Urban Decay, VPH, BareMinerals, Laura Geller, Philosophy, the kitchen clearance shows, Mark Charles Misilli -- all are regularly on in the overnight hours. NO, I don't stay up to watch them live -- I go to bed between 9 and 10 and get up between 4 and 5. I make a big mug of tea, turn on the TV in my office, give our Bassets their morning treats, and check the DVR to see what recorded overnight, then watch the shows to see if anything appeals to me. So no, my account won't shw me shopping at 2 or 3 am, but it WILL show I purchased from the shows that aired then.

@kathya1119  If you’re saying you used to DVR overnight shows to to shop later on, then you, and anyone else, can DVR those same shows at any time of day. Your whole argument for live overnight programming is self-contradicting and just plain moot.

I can't DVR -- DVR means RECORD - any program at any time of day because unless programs are available on demand, you can only DVR a program when it's actually being broadcast. If a program is on at 2am, I can't DVR it at 2pm. I can, however, watch it at 2pm if I DVR it when it's aired at 2am.

So yes  - my DVR is running overnight recording programs that are being broadcast at that particular moment, and I watch them when I get up.

So, no, I didn't contradict myself or make anything moot.

Valued Contributor

@kathya1119 wrote:

@MaryLamb wrote:

@kathya1119 wrote:

The good news is that if QVC decides to take feedback from the forums seriously, they can examine complaints like yours, and check your account to make sure you’re actually spending money during the overnight hours rather than just complaining because you don’t like reruns.

Uh, no. You don't have to watch live to make a purchase from the overnight shows. There's this neat invention called the DVR, which a lot of us put to good use. I even have shows set to tape automatically so they record with no input from me.

A lot of the lines I purchase from have regular overnight shows -- Lock and Lock, Urban Decay, VPH, BareMinerals, Laura Geller, Philosophy, the kitchen clearance shows, Mark Charles Misilli -- all are regularly on in the overnight hours. NO, I don't stay up to watch them live -- I go to bed between 9 and 10 and get up between 4 and 5. I make a big mug of tea, turn on the TV in my office, give our Bassets their morning treats, and check the DVR to see what recorded overnight, then watch the shows to see if anything appeals to me. So no, my account won't shw me shopping at 2 or 3 am, but it WILL show I purchased from the shows that aired then.

@kathya1119  If you’re saying you used to DVR overnight shows to to shop later on, then you, and anyone else, can DVR those same shows at any time of day. Your whole argument for live overnight programming is self-contradicting and just plain moot.

I can't DVR -- DVR means RECORD - any program at any time of day because unless programs are available on demand, you can only DVR a program when it's actually being broadcast. If a program is on at 2am, I can't DVR it at 2pm. I can, however, watch it at 2pm if I DVR it when it's aired at 2am.

So yes  - my DVR is running overnight recording programs that are being broadcast at that particular moment, and I watch them when I get up.

So, no, I didn't contradict myself or make anything moot.

@kathya1119  If your DVR doesn’t allow you to DVR anything at any time of day, then your DVR is from the 1990’s, or you’re not being honest.

Esteemed Contributor

No one posting here knows with certitude whether this is a sound financial move or not, even though some posters act as if they work within the inner sanctum of Q Finance and Accounting.

Most of us are merely giving our opinions of this move without access to the books.

It may very well be fiscally motivated out of desperation. ...but until I see the host roster pruned I don't believe it works.
Valued Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:
No one posting here knows with certitude whether this is a sound financial move or not, even though some posters act as if they work within the inner sanctum of Q Finance and Accounting.

Most of us are merely giving our opinions of this move without access to the books.

It may very well be fiscally motivated out of desperation. ...but until I see the host roster pruned I don't believe it works.

@Johnnyeager  Those of us who’ve worked in business for decades know that the first department you make cuts in to reduce costs is production, not talent or admin.

Esteemed Contributor

Which business?
Valued Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:
Which business?

@Johnnyeager  I could literally say that I worked in finance for HSN for 30 years and you’d probably say “that’s totally different,” simply because you’d rather stand on your chair screaming “the sky is falling” rather than listen to what someone with my knowledge and experience has to say. I get it. You don’t like me, because I’m offering intelligent, informed and logical reasons to explain what’s going on, and you’d rather be irrational and angry. So, you can continue saying “you don’t know that” every time someone contributes what sounds like intelligence and reason, or you can actually contribute something constructive to the conversation moving forward. Either way, you’re not going to stop me from helping others understand why what’s happening may be happening here.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't scream. I merely believe that this is a fiscally unwise, ill conceived and poorly thought out course of action.

Whether I believe your story or not (and I don't ) I believe that we will soon see Qurate in a Chapter 11 bankruptcy, shareholder value wiped out (wherein lies my expertise. )
Valued Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:
I don't scream. I merely believe that this is a fiscally unwise, ill conceived and poorly thought out course of action.

Whether I believe your story or not (and I don't ) I believe that we will soon see Qurate in a Chapter 11 bankruptcy, shareholder value wiped out (wherein lies my expertise. )

@Johnnyeager  And based on everything you’ve said before, I have no doubt you actually believe all this is true.