Super Contributor

Re: Is QVC main channel no longer 24/7 live?

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Can someone please post the actual, factual numbers that show that this was a sound financial business action? 

I'm curious to view them.  Some posters here seem to have access to this information so please share.

Common sense would indicate that if QVC was making money during this time period no changes would be necessary.  Management felt it necessary to try something else.  Is this the final answer, who knows.

I agree, but this is just throwing in the towel.  They didn’t try hard enough.  I’m sure they are also hemorrhaging day and prime time buyers as well.  Re runs won’t fix the total picture.  They need to get back to basics and not think a Keurig or pillow will turn everything around.  I don’t Q. Check at all when a “beat a dead horse” TSV is featured that day.  When they offered variety I did, and spent plenty too.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sashamatthews wrote:

I think those of you who have posted about offerings at other retailers are correct. For instance, i can like a purse at QVC, check out other retailers (including eBay) and get it cheaper, and usually faster than from the Q.  But we more mature shoppers  have to understand that management is aiming for the younger buyers while trying to keep our money rolling in.  When was the last time it was an event to have a TSV?  Remember the anticipation of a Leslie visit for Bare Escentuals, or a Joan Rivers weekend?  Those were the days when QVC was fun to watch and then buy from.  Now, it's simply a transaction, cut and dry, no emotion.

@sashamatthews 

QVC seems to be contradicting themselves and pulling themselves in opposite directions at the same time....

Yes they are aiming to attract younger shoppers, but how can that take place with numerous wrinkle creams????and fashions aimed at a more mature woman's style????, outdated electronics--OR--electronics with limitations like their recent HP TSV that can only use an edge browser---what younger person wants that.?????...According to retail journals the younger demographic isn't interested in expensive handbags, expensive clothes, or cookware.....And will the younger crowd put up with SLLLLLLLLLLOOOWWWW turtle like shipping when others can produce their merchandise in a day or two????  

Meanwhile their current customer base is bored by the repetititveness and looking elsewhere for something new and different and better shipping....

What exactly is QVC achieving with their current strategy....???????????

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Super Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

We’re testing a potential change to our overnight programming. Effective Monday, October 7, 2019, QVC US will commence a multi-week pilot on our main channel, moving to previously aired programming in our overnight hours. The pilot will commence at 2am ET Monday, Oct. 7, at which time our main QVC channel will begin to re-air the midnight hour (inclusive of the TSV) from 2–7am ET every day. We will evaluate the performance over the next four weeks to determine impact and value of moving forward with a permanent, pre-aired approach.

Thank you

Beth QVC

Why not take the hours that are currently live on QVC 2 and move those programs to overnight on the main channel, then get rid of QVC 2 and/or morph it with QVC 3, which is all reruns all of the time? That seems to make much more sense, especially for shoppers who like the "off hours", which are only off hours in one time zone (the world doesn't revolve around the East Coast, BTW).

Esteemed Contributor

@Tukey wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Can someone please post the actual, factual numbers that show that this was a sound financial business action? 

I'm curious to view them.  Some posters here seem to have access to this information so please share.

Common sense would indicate that if QVC was making money during this time period no changes would be necessary.  Management felt it necessary to try something else.  Is this the final answer, who knows.

I agree, but this is just throwing in the towel.  They didn’t try hard enough.  I’m sure they are also hemorrhaging day and prime time buyers as well.  Re runs won’t fix the total picture.  They need to get back to basics and not think a Keurig or pillow will turn everything around.  I don’t Q. Check at all when a “beat a dead horse” TSV is featured that day.  When they offered variety I did, and spent plenty too.

With Brick and Mortor stores closing left and right would you tell them the same thing.  If the business is not there, you need to try something else.  Most stores are closed during the night, simply because it is not cost effective to stay open. Guessing that is the case here, not enough people are actually buying during those hours.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

One other factor we are forgetting regarding Qurates cost cutting is the result of other companies included in Qurate.....While QVC/HSN had a 4% decrease in revenue....Zullily (purchased to attract the younger demographic since they offer childrens clothes/toys/misc and therefore would appeal to young families) they had been doing wonderfully....However last quarter their revenue decreased 13%....YIKES....Have you noticed some new Zulilly commercials popping up recently to try to reverse the trend....

@Johnnyeager 

Here's some facts from last quarter results 2019:

QxH

QxH reported sales declines in apparel and jewelry, which were partially offset by gains primarily in accessories and electronics. Operating income margin contracted and adjusted OIBDA margin was flat, reflecting gross margin pressure mainly from higher fulfillment (freight and warehouse) expense, which was partially offset by higher product margins. QxH also incurred higher bad debt and marketing expense. These factors were offset by lower TV distribution commissions and customer service expense. Lower TV distribution commissions were due in part to the accounting treatment for certain renewed HSN carriage agreements (described below), as well as renegotiated rates at HSN and growth in off-air sales. Operating income included higher amortization expense related to HSN carriage agreements.

Beginning in the third quarter of 2018, HSN began renewing TV carriage agreements with certain distribution partners, which provided multi-year upfront payments that are amortized over the life of the agreements, versus its previous convention of expensing quarterly payments as incurred. This accounting change has a positive impact on QxH’s adjusted OIBDA with a corresponding increase in QxH’s amortization expense, which is neutral to operating income each period and cash neutral over the life of the agreements.

Zulily

Zulily revenue declined due to lower unit volume driven by a decrease in new customers and lower purchasing frequency from existing customers, as well as lower ASP. Product categories that led the sales decline were apparel (kids and women), home and footwear. Zulily’s results were affected by less efficient customer acquisition spend on certain digital marketing channels and the impact of sales tax collection in additional states versus the prior year. Operating loss improved due to a decrease in purchase accounting amortization. Adjusted OIBDA declined primarily due to lower sales, higher supply chain expense and fixed costs associated with increased technology-related headcount.//

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Occasional Contributor

@BrandiDavis wrote:

@MaryLamb wrote:

@Stormfur wrote:

For a channel that proudly claims to listen to the people, they must have their noise canceling headphones on.  I cannot imagine that the majority is content with the constant, and dare I say borderline irritating recantation of the midnight hour.  

David Venable just stated a week ago that people have their channel on in the background.  But we don’t want to see....or hear the same item(s) over and over and over again.  Groundhog Day much, QVC?  

Get rid of the multiple channels......including HSN 2.  The utter ridiculousness of repeat performances is grating on a lot of people’s nerves. 

But....that said, I will no longer watch your channel.  I will watch or do something else.  And save $$$$. So thank you QVC?  

@Stormfur  The good news is that if QVC decides to take feedback from the forums seriously, they can examine complaints like yours, and check your account to make sure you’re actually spending money during the overnight hours rather than just complaining because you don’t like reruns.

@MaryLambWe get it, it doesn't bother you, and you are pro-EVERYTHING QVC related, you make snarky comment after comment on every thread related to this topic & others. So, the decision doesn't bother you, but it DOES bother some of us, which is obvious from post after post. How about instead of constantly posting on threads that obviously irk you, you pass on them in the future. Just a suggestion.

@MaryLamb  Your opinion is duly noted.  Bring on the audit of my account. It’s my prime time.  Hence, why I made the post.  Keep your snark on your own post and off of others who are sharing their view.    @BrandiDavis @Thank you ☺️

Frequent Contributor

They tried this before and no one liked it. QVC is just trying to save money. Since TSVs hardly ever sell out. Not really TSVs anymore.

DON’T LIKE IT!!

Contributor

I don’t know what is happening. We have all complained that products are to repetitive. I woke up at 530 am and noticed the main channel is from midnight. Now it’s 6 am and they are playing the same recorded show!!!  So now we have t3 channels that are recorded . What do all these hosts do that you never see?

New Contributor

I so miss seeing the more experienced hosts doing the shows. The newer hosts don't have a clue about the products unless they are reading from their cards and even then they are so busy playing with their hair or telling us about their private lives they don't get it right.