Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Personally, I would never think of NOT using a mattress pad, but there's a difference in a mattress pad and what you bought, a protector.  If you purchased your mattress from an actual brick and mortar store, they do insist on you purchasing their protector in order to maintain your warranty.  If you don't buy it, your warranty is voided.  The waterproof protector is for more than just a barrier doggie accidents, though, they're for spilling accidents and assorted bodily fluids from people too.

That's not true of every store.  The store we purchased from just said it must have a protector/matrress pad on it.  I specifically asked.  The sales associate as well as our warranty information pretty much used the terms mattress protector and mattress pad interchangeably.  The biggest thing was that the mattress couldn't be stained or the warranty was voided.     

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Personally, I would never think of NOT using a mattress pad, but there's a difference in a mattress pad and what you bought, a protector.  If you purchased your mattress from an actual brick and mortar store, they do insist on you purchasing their protector in order to maintain your warranty.  If you don't buy it, your warranty is voided.  The waterproof protector is for more than just a barrier doggie accidents, though, they're for spilling accidents and assorted bodily fluids from people too.

That's not true of every store.  The store we purchased from just said it must have a protector/matrress pad on it.  I specifically asked.  The sales associate as well as our warranty information pretty much used the terms mattress protector and mattress pad interchangeably.  The biggest thing was that the mattress couldn't be stained or the warranty was voided.     

OK, if you want to be picky, maybe not every store, but it is usually strongly suggested and shoppers will feel the pressure to buy in order to not void the warranty.  At least that was our experience when purchasing a mattress about 4 yrs. ago and friends have experienced the similar kind of "suggestion", but at different stores.  For literature or a sales associate to use the words "pad" and "protector" interchangeably is deceptive and misleading.  The name "protector" describes what the item is doing. A pad isn't always waterproof so if something gets through the mattress could get stained and void the warranty.