Frequent Contributor

Button, Button...Who'se Got the Button?

When I was growing up (back in the dark ages), my mom always cut buttons off clothes before they were discarded; therefore there was always a big jar of buttons that kids loved to play with.

I'd like to do a craft project with my grands – make a decorated box with buttons and glue – but can't find any reasonably priced large containers of buttons.  If I buy them by the pack it would cost a fortune to pay for this craft project.

Does anybody know of somewhere large quantities of buttons can be purchased reasonably?

Thanks,

Jane

Honored Contributor

Re: Button, Button...Who'se Got the Button?

You can find bags of different colored buttons at Michael's for about $2.50.

And you might have some luck at a thrift store but I might be careful of really old ones that might have lead in them.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

Have you tried Etsy?

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because a link to a retailer was provided.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

my house...........lol..............just kidding  Smiley Happy 

I used to save every button I came across,got that from my mom,I guess................lol

to this day I have a very hard time throwing them away..........lol

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I never throw away a button. I have collected a cake tin full - plus when my grandma died I inherited all her sewing stuff which included her button box and when my Mom died I got hers too.  I could start a button store and never have to buy any stock. I bet I could fill a bushel basket with buttons.

Valued Contributor

Farm sales and antique malls.

Honored Contributor

@Alajane wrote:

When I was growing up (back in the dark ages), my mom always cut buttons off clothes before they were discarded; therefore there was always a big jar of buttons that kids loved to play with.

I'd like to do a craft project with my grands – make a decorated box with buttons and glue – but can't find any reasonably priced large containers of buttons.  If I buy them by the pack it would cost a fortune to pay for this craft project.

Does anybody know of somewhere large quantities of buttons can be purchased reasonably?

Thanks,

Jane

@Alajane I just checked out Amazon - I typed in Bulk Buttons - you can buy 1 pound of assorted buttons for about $6, and 2 lbs for about $13.

Trusted Contributor

I used to buy & then sort & sell them at a local antique & collectible mall.  I bought some of mine at very reasonable prices in large lots on Ebay & Etsy.  The best bargains are if you can get large unsorted lots.  

Respected Contributor

eBay always has button lots. Search for buttons, vintage button lots, etc. I don't see, and I threw out a large jar of buttons when my husband's aunt died. That's before I realized that dome people want such things.