Trusted Contributor

Re: Is Cecil a tipping point?

@blahblahvampemerblah wrote:

For the sake of the livelihoods of everyone connected to hunting over the continent, I sure hope it isn't. 

WOW. How sad you think like this. SMH. TWO THUMBS WAY DOWN.

Esteemed Contributor

@italia8140 wrote:

For the sake of the livelihoods of everyone connected to hunting over the continent, I sure hope it isn't. 

Way down...yikes....

Esteemed Contributor

@italia8140 wrote:

ITA @italia8140. Someone's livelihood must be threatened here.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@MarieIG wrote:

No.

I was tipped over quite a while ago due to the hunting of elephants. 

These intelligent animals are frequently hunted for their tusks.  The countries which are lucky enough to have these wonderful animals have to be primarily responsible to protect them both from local hunters which unfortunately seem to run rampant, as well as trophy hunters. 

I have a particular passion for elephants. My husband told me today that he read that some are painting the elephants' tusk with pink paint to make them not useful to those who hunt them for their tusks. Interesting.

I recently saw a pic of one of DT's sons holding the tail of an elephant he'd killed. Sickening to see but that wasn't the only animal that the 2 of them had killed and proudly posed with.

Honored Contributor

I don't watch 'the news' other than local (where ever I happen to be)--and not faithfully every day.

That said I sure have read a ton about Cecil here.

I don't think this is going to stop trophy hunting at all. 

If documentaries/exposes about the food in our meat (and dairy!) section at the grocery store hasn't repulsed us ALL enough to care about what we buy and eat (chew on and swallow), then nothing will.

JMO

Respected Contributor

@italia8140 wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

No it is not, not even close imo............

If you READ and COMPREHEND the definition, it CERTAINLY is.

@italia8140, I'm not trying to be mean or disrespectful to you, I'm really, really not.

With that said, you might be being a bit too aggressive with people when it comes to this Cecil the lion thing and other animal issues. It's good to care about animals, it's good to protect animals and it's good to even get a little upset about animals being mistreated.

But if when you go from thread to thread, screaming at people with the caps lock on and saying they must hate and despise animals because they may not feel the same way, that just turns them off to animal rights.

TV shows like "It's Me or the Dog" and "My Cat from [can't say the word because that's a no-no from QVC]" does prove that sometimes, people can take their love of animals a bit too far at times.

Again, not trying to be mean to you. Just a little friendly advice. Smiley Happy

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Esteemed Contributor

I'm trying to understand your logic.  So if some people are involved in a practice that is morally wrong, or illegal, your main concern is their loss of income?  To follow your rationale, if people are involved in immoral activities contributing to the destruction of our planet, your main concern would be their loss of income if they were forced to stop?  Maybe you should do some research about how how humans have negatively impacted the earth.  I am not attacking you as a person, but only your idea on this matter.

Trusted Contributor

@NC Bandwagon wrote:

@italia8140 wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

No it is not, not even close imo............

If you READ and COMPREHEND the definition, it CERTAINLY is.

@italia8140, I'm not trying to be mean or disrespectful to you, I'm really, really not.

With that said, you might be being a bit too aggressive with people when it comes to this Cecil the lion thing and other animal issues. It's good to care about animals, it's good to protect animals and it's good to even get a little upset about animals being mistreated.

But if when you go from thread to thread, screaming at people with the caps lock on and saying they must hate and despise animals because they may not feel the same way, that just turns them off to animal rights.

TV shows like "It's Me or the Dog" and "My Cat from [can't say the word because that's a no-no from QVC]" does prove that sometimes, people can take their love of animals a bit too far at times.

Again, not trying to be mean to you. Just a little friendly advice. Smiley Happy

My stance on this issue will not change. I never said anything about people hating or despising animals.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@MarieIG wrote:

No.

I was tipped over quite a while ago due to the hunting of elephants. 

These intelligent animals are frequently hunted for their tusks.  The countries which are lucky enough to have these wonderful animals have to be primarily responsible to protect them both from local hunters which unfortunately seem to run rampant, as well as trophy hunters. 

I have a particular passion for elephants. My husband told me today that he read that some are painting the elephants' tusk with pink paint to make them not useful to those who hunt them for their tusks. Interesting.

I recently saw a pic of one of DT's sons holding the tail of an elephant he'd killed. Sickening to see but that wasn't the only animal that the 2 of them had killed and proudly posed with.

I have loved elephants  forever.  There was one In particular  at the Bronx Zoo, when I was younger.  We shared the same BD.  every year I returned to see him and he knew me.  My husband didn't believe that the elephant really knew me, but the first year of our marriage, I returned per tradition shared with my Dad.  The crowd was dense...I had peanuts to give him, I called him by name and I was standing at the far end near his shelter.  He left the dense crowd and came to me....he was looking directly at me and took his peanuts.  My husband couldn't believe it.  I went back one day and he was gone, a horrible accident.  I just love these intelligent, gentle giants.  I recently went on safari and the first time I saw these beauties I   Was so emotional...to see them free, happy, swimming, playing.  There was a tiny elephant that the guide said was a couple of months; the whole herd protected that baby when they walked; the mother, I presume, was teaching him to swim....just too Cute!  Our guide stated the elephant fears one animal only, yep, humans.  They say if you want to study positive maternal behavior, you should study elephants with their offspring; they constantly touch and massage their babies with their trunks, always supervise them and never leave them alone.   We have a lot to learn from these wonderful creatures. 

Respected Contributor

I have always been an advocate against ANY & ALL animal slaughter or use in testing etc. I am vegan and so this is not new to me the fight against this is magnitude to those like me. 

That being said I hope this poor  souls voice will keep the spark ignited and that it grows loud and strong.