Esteemed Contributor

Irma Is Downgraded To a Cat 4

She's still going to do a .... load of damage though, and is still aiming for Florida.

Honored Contributor

Re: Irma Is Downgraded To a Cat 4

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

She's still going to do a .... load of damage though, and is still aiming for Florida.

@Plaid Pants2

Thanks for this info.  Yes, very scary!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I'll take it.  Anything is better than a five.  Hopefully this thing will keep losing strength before it hits.  It seems to me a good sign anyway.  Thanks for the update.

Valued Contributor

Unfortunately Jim Cantore just reported that Irma had gone through an eyewall replacement again. That process tends to slow the wind speed.

As the process completes, the new eyewall emerges, and the wind speed tends to increase, the diameter of the storm also gets larger.

This storm has gone through many eyewall replacement processes. That is part of the reason for the size, strength, and endurance of this storm.

His educated opinion is that it will return to cat5 specs before landfall.

Oh, another storm is coming out from the coast of Africa.

Esteemed Contributor

@garmer wrote:

Unfortunately Jim Cantore just reported that Irma had gone through an eyewall replacement again. That process tends to slow the wind speed.

As the process completes, the new eyewall emerges, and the wind speed tends to increase, the diameter of the storm also gets larger.

This storm has gone through many eyewall replacement processes. That is part of the reason for the size, strength, and endurance of this storm.

His educated opinion is that it will return to cat5 specs before landfall.

Oh, another storm is coming out from the coast of Africa.

You are exactly right.

I heard Jim say that.

Esteemed Contributor

It is also going through some very warm waters.........

Valued Contributor

90 degrees, to a depth of 200 feet...I couldn't believe it was that warm the first time I heard that. I had no idea it would be that warm, especially that deep.

Honored Contributor

It's just barely out of the category five range. I believe it's only two miles per hours below the cat 5 level, so it's not weakening a lot. It's going to be a big, big problem. Even the hurricane construction codes for new homes typically are built to resist 140 MPH winds and the winds are likely to exceed that level creating damage for even the newly built, well built homes. There's going to be catastrophic damage throughout Florida. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Frequent Contributor

Since I live in FL I've been watching closely.   As of the 5am update it shows Irma going straight up the middle of the state.

They said it could still turn more east or west.  I am on the east

coast but not on the beach side.  We are staying put.  One good thing if it holds true is that it will be a Cat 2 by the time it hits up

around Orlando.   Praying that this stays true.  I would much

rather deal with that then a Cat 4 or 5! 

My poor brother and his new wife just got married on July 22 and

flew in this past Sunday to Ft Lauderdale and were planning on

spending a few days in the Keys and Key West.  Well of course

that has been cancelled and they are driving up here to stay with

us as I type this.   Just asking everyone to keep all of us affected by this hurricane in your prayers.   Diane

Honored Contributor

@DianeFL wrote:

Since I live in FL I've been watching closely.   As of the 5am update it shows Irma going straight up the middle of the state.

They said it could still turn more east or west.  I am on the east

coast but not on the beach side.  We are staying put.  One good thing if it holds true is that it will be a Cat 2 by the time it hits up

around Orlando.   Praying that this stays true.  I would much

rather deal with that then a Cat 4 or 5! 

My poor brother and his new wife just got married on July 22 and

flew in this past Sunday to Ft Lauderdale and were planning on

spending a few days in the Keys and Key West.  Well of course

that has been cancelled and they are driving up here to stay with

us as I type this.   Just asking everyone to keep all of us affected by this hurricane in your prayers.   Diane

@DianeFL  My mother is staying put in her home just north of Orlando too.  I really hope you do get only a 2 although that's no joke either.  Andrew ran me over as a strong 1-2 and did a lot of damage.  Property can be replaced and it will so please stay safe and listen to your local radio guys.  They are going to be your heroes.

We are expecting tropical force up here in Georgia right now.  It's going to be a long few days for all of us.  Everyone stay safe!!