Honored Contributor

Re: Irma Is Downgraded To a Cat 4

Image result for in our thoughts and prayers images

Honored Contributor

@DianeFL wrote:

Since I live in FL I've been watching closely.   As of the 5am update it shows Irma going straight up the middle of the state.

They said it could still turn more east or west.  I am on the east

coast but not on the beach side.  We are staying put.  One good thing if it holds true is that it will be a Cat 2 by the time it hits up

around Orlando.   Praying that this stays true.  I would much

rather deal with that then a Cat 4 or 5! 

My poor brother and his new wife just got married on July 22 and

flew in this past Sunday to Ft Lauderdale and were planning on

spending a few days in the Keys and Key West.  Well of course

that has been cancelled and they are driving up here to stay with

us as I type this.   Just asking everyone to keep all of us affected by this hurricane in your prayers.   Diane

Like you staying with Son n DIL Orlando area. Praying for everyone.
Respected Contributor

@Laura14  My friends from Jensen Beach drove back here to Mentor, OH, and arrived "home" last night.  They are staying in the condo next door to me that they had not yet sold after moving to FL a couple years ago.  Their FL house is right on the beach.  I haven't had a chance to talk with them yet because they were sleeping when I left for work this morning.  They have two cats they had to drag along.  Ironically, they were just here a month ago gathering up more personal belongings to take back to FL.  He has a bad back, so the long drive is really hard, but his wife is the "rock."

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

I wish this could just all stop and never happen anywhere, the devastation is unbelievable even for low category storms.  Today is the 117 year anniversary to Cat. 4 Hurricane that hit Galveston in 1900.  Their best estimate was it took 8,000. souls due to only one day notice.

Prayers to Florida and all who have loved ones there.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@Laura14  My friends from Jensen Beach drove back here to Mentor, OH, and arrived "home" last night.  They are staying in the condo next door to me that they had not yet sold after moving to FL a couple years ago.  Their FL house is right on the beach.  I haven't had a chance to talk with them yet because they were sleeping when I left for work this morning.  They have two cats they had to drag along.  Ironically, they were just here a month ago gathering up more personal belongings to take back to FL.  He has a bad back, so the long drive is really hard, but his wife is the "rock."

@2blonde  Smart!  My mother and her husband have chosen to remain in the Villages which is north of Orlando.  I really hope she gets a big scare so she never does this to herself or her kids again!  

Honored Contributor

Heres the projection from The Weather Channel. 

Screenshot_20170908-084219.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@2blonde wrote:

@2blonde  Smart!  My mother and her husband have chosen to remain in the Villages which is north of Orlando.  I really hope she gets a big scare so she never does this to herself or her kids again!  

Or, they'll say, "I rode out Irma and was fine, I can ride out this other hurricane, too."

Honored Contributor

What I am finding rather fascinating is that there are currently 2 hurricanes with 150+ mph winds and both threatening land masses...

Honored Contributor

I know you all have been worried sick about Richard Branson who chose to hunker down in a cement bunker on his private island which is part of the Virgin Islands chain.  Here's what he had to say afterwards.   I'm not sure what the British Red Cross has to do with all of this. 

20170908_093517.png

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

@2blonde wrote:

Or, they'll say, "I rode out Irma and was fine, I can ride out this other hurricane, too."

The Villages homes are built to post Andrew codes that were updated in 2000.  They should be safe.  Prayers that they are.