Respected Contributor

We live in a desirable neighborhood of 'newer' homes.  When houses go on the market they sell quick and for full price or above.

Our neighbor sold their home in a few days 2 months ago.  Fast forward to this week...

We have learned that the new owners are not able to move in for 12-20 months.  She works in Europe and Asia, he works in Asia.  They live in Asia.

The Realtor is going to 'manage' the house for a fee.  Taking care of hiring lawn care, snow removal services, etc.

The new owners (who we never met) have asked it we would "watch over the house" look for and remove flyers,  water the plants in the planters, confirm the lawn and garden is kept in good order by the hired company, etc.

They are willing to pay us several hundred dollars a month to do this.  The Realtor will pay us directly in cash or check.

We have exchanged emails with the new owners who seem lovely, and they are going to visit this fall.  

The Realtor is a well known Realtor in the area and she is one sharp cookie.   She also lives close and will help keep an eye on things.

Would you consider such an arrangement?  

Honored Contributor

No

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

several extra hundred dollars a month?......yes, i would not hesitate.

i also think this is a wonderful opportunity to become friendly with your neighbors even before they arrive.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

With the proper written contract? In a heartbeat!

Honored Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

I agree, I would want a release of liability.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

The house next door to me had been vacant for over two years for virtually the same reasons. Also a very desirable neighborhood.   I was asked to help keep the place in decent shape by removing flyers, watering outside planatings, etc.  They paid a lawn service to mow and rake, etc. 

I did it happily (as much for myself as for them) and would not accept any payment.  The new owners just moved in two weeks ago, and brought me a beautiful plant as a thank you.  It was in my own best interest to keep the house looking good, and I could not have accepted money for doing this. But it's up to you.

Trusted Contributor

Absolutely not.

Honored Contributor

Several hundred dollars a month to keep an eye out?  Okay, um, is the realtor legit?  

I'd be more inclined if it was $50 or so but several hundred dollars to just do a walk through every now and again?  Why would the landscape people not want a few extra bucks for the watering and potted plant upkeep too since they are already there with equipment handy?  Are these legal plants?  

I'm not sure I'd take checks from an overseas couple.  Let the realtor take that risk and tell her/him you want cash up front and will hand over a receipt every time just in case something comes back on that couple, the realtor, and tangentially, you.  

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@queendiva wrote:

I agree, I would want a release of liability.

Exactly.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Wow, your new neighbors must be quite wealthy.  It sounds like a good way for you to make some extra income while getting to know them in advance. Besides, I imagine you will want to keep the neighborhood looking nice, and empty homes can look less than presentable.  Of course, if you are unable or unwilling to accept the offer, I imagine there would be another neighbor that wouldn't mind doing it.

Laura loves cats!