Respected Contributor

I really don't know if I would consider doing something like this.

I'm just curious why they bought a house and won't live in for such a long period of time.  Also, if the real estate agent will be looking in on the house, why not just make an arrangement with him/her to continue to do so. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Interesting scenerio

[ Edited ]

@Abrowneyegirl  Sure.  I would not do it for less than $500 a month, but that is just me.  I am sure that the new owners can afford it.

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl,   If you don't mind doing the chores, then go for it.  At least you are getting paid.  If you decide to do it, get paid WEEKLY.  HeartCat Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I would not want the responsibility of keeping an eye on a neighbor's house for more than a week or so. 

If you are always home, and if you are looking for some extra income, have a contract drawn up and go for it.

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@queendiva wrote:

With the proper written contract? In a heartbeat!

I agree, I would want a release of liability.

Interesting perspective, but liabilty of what?

The house has insurance, there is a security system in place and active.

The plants and flowers on the porch are going to die this winter, so no fear there.

It is in our best interest that the yard, landscaping, etc are all well maintained as they are our neighbor and we do not want to live next to a bramble patch.  Although the HOA would fine them for not maintaining the grounds, but still who wants that?

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@queendiva wrote:

With the proper written contract? In a heartbeat!

I agree, I would want a release of liability.

Interesting perspective, but liabilty of what?

The house has insurance, there is a security system in place and active.

The plants and flowers on the porch are going to die this winter, so no fear there.

It is in our best interest that the yard, landscaping, etc are all well maintained as they are our neighbor and we do not want to live next to a bramble patch.  Although the HOA would fine them for not maintaining the grounds, but still who wants that?

@Abrowneyegirl

Well, liability for unforeseen circumstances that might occur which you had not thought about before. ~ The power is cut and vandals get in and destroy the floors, a huge tree falls on the house and cracks the foundation, the house burns due to faulty wiring.  

Life is uncertain, a liability release (written by YOUR attorney, signed and witnessed by YOU and THEM) simply protects you from something someone might think you did, caused, or should have prevented.

If they are international business people, it should not come as any surprise to them.

I understand they are going to be your neighbors, and that's all good, but this is a business arrangement.

Enjoy!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Personally, I would say no.  I wouldn't want to be responsible for someone else's property.  I did that once when I was a college student and the owner kept asking for more and more from me.  

I decided then and there I only wanted to be responsible for my own property.  

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl

"remove flyers"

Excuse my ignorance but, I am confused by that word. 

Where are these flyers posted on the house & what are they for?

The only flyers I see in "desirable neighborhoods" in my neck of the woods are placed on "telephone poles and/or car windshields."  Most are for lost pets & missing persons.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl

"remove flyers"

Excuse my ignorance but, I am confused by that word. 

Where are these flyers posted on the house & what are they for?

The only flyers I see in "desirable neighborhoods" in my neck of the woods are placed on "telephone poles and/or car windshields."  Most are for lost pets & missing persons.

@Mz iMac I wouldn't think they'd be "posted on the house," but rather stuck in the mailbox or newspaper box, or possibly rolled up in the screen door handle/stuck between the screen and front door.  I gather that the new owners want to make the house look occupied, and having that stuff sitting out for days doesn't foster that impression.

Honored Contributor

@WenGirl42

Thank you.  Mystery solved.  "Flyers" that you mentioned are not an issue in my area.  Just newspapers left at door and/or mail piled up in mail boxes-those who forger to stop the service and/or have mail diverted to PO..

We have many snow birds & what they do is set light timers to go on or off at random during the day & night.  Same w/the outside motion lights.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

As long as I have it in writing, the amount is agreed upon as well as the date I will be payed...sure!!