Respected Contributor

Re: Interesting new feature article about QVC.

I've taken short looks at the QVC internantional sites. I think many of the products are geared toward what may sell in that country. For example, at QVC Germany, I think saw them selling something that looked like drinkable yogurt or some such. Their jewelry designs are also quite different, too.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Esteemed Contributor

"if we over-hype a product, you get it home and you're disappointed with it, we're gonna lose a lifetime customer."

I found this comment interesting.  IMHO, they over-hype EVERYTHING.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Gardens...Having worked in public relations and having prepared many media releases, etc., I get that this is a blahblahblah article, but...

Competing with Nordstrom??  Are you kidding me!?  In what way!??

And I'd like for Mr. George to tell me what exactly this means:  "...says CEO Mike George, adding, “We really don't, at the end of the day, care about getting the next sale from you...if we over-hype a product, you get it home and you're disappointed with it, we're gonna lose a lifetime customer...."   Is this a typo??  Altho, I totally believe him that QVC doesn't care about getting the next sale from me; that's patently obvious, and except for one or two items once in a while, they have indeed lost a lifetime customer in me because they really don't care!  But, IF...IF we over-hype a product!!?   Bwwaahahahahahahaha!!   Hilarious!!

And then there's this:  “What we find is that people tend to, kind of, acquire QVC typically when they move into their 30s,” George says. “So you start to see...our business start to pick up with folks of that age, probably continuing into their forties and fifties.”  The rest of that quote is on the cutting room floor and went something like this:  "...continuing into their 40's and 50's, when they finally get it through their thick heads that our over-hyped products are over-priced and that they have spent a fortune on return shipping charges and their doctors have told them to eliminate frustration and aggravation from their lives."

This info is at least somewhat useful for my next letter:  "Ken O’Brien is the company’s Senior Vice President Merchandising and is the man in charge of finding the products those QVC customers want." 

As far as the entertainment factor...their idea of entertainment is not my idea of entertainment that's for sure, but no matter because I'm not looking to be entertained when I shop...I'm looking for information I can use to make an informed choice on my purchase.  All I can think of after reading this article is Gypsy Rose Lee. 

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Esteemed Contributor

If it weren't for the social/entertainment intereaction, most people wold never watch the Q. Purchases are mostly impulsive. We could buy most of the items on several websites and at various stores - so they have to attract the customers. If someone wanted to buy a jacket --- do most of u find out when the jacket segments will be on --- and then hope they show a jacket u want to buy? 

Most of us already have lots of stuff - and if we feel connected to the host/vendor and like a product -- we'll buy.

Honored Contributor

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

"if we over-hype a product, you get it home and you're disappointed with it, we're gonna lose a lifetime customer."

Exactly! Not only do they over-hype, but they also OVER-EXPOSE the products ad nauseum. How many times in a day can one watch the same Vionics magic marker demo, the Vitamix blender, Temptations bakeware, Argan oil, vacuum demos-- l could go on and on. They're like infomercials. Where's the variety of new product and fashion lines that used to hold our viewing interest??

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

wildcat fan wrote:

Tres bien!

I was confused by that part where it says QVC is not targeting millennials.  If they aren't trying to appeal to that demographic, seems like they'd ditch a few of those younger ditzy hosts.

They may not be targeting them, but millennials are buying. DD is in her 20's, and wears LOGO to work all of the time. (She doesn't layer the pieces, unless it's a tank under a cardigan). She has to dress professionally, and she always looks good. 

colliegirls wrote: 

It is obvious that they are not targeting the under 30 crowd, just by looking at the clothes they present. 

colliegirls - IMHO some of the clothes we see look good ONLY on someone who is young! 

Thanks for posting the article gardensia! Personally I enjoy the entertainment aspect of watching the shows. Many times I'll just watch shows because I like the host or vendor, not because I'm interested in anything they're selling! I've been watching for about 10 years now. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@gardensla

Thanks for posting this article.  It goes a long way in explaining what happened to the Q (in my opinion) over the last few years.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

It is obvious that they are not targeting the under 30 crowd, just by looking at the clothes they present.

The shoe on air supports this theory too (A262507). Nothing against the shoe as I know it will sell, but it seems the viewers are mainly 50 and older. I rarely hear a caller that is not north of 55. 

Honored Contributor

I am 68 and started with QVC in 1988.  It was so new, and in those days of no cell phones, social media, big box stores and home computers, the products they offered were sooooooo unique.  I had moved to a small town, and QVC was a God send, no kidding.  I lived 40 miles from a Dept store, or a Home Depot.  We had small home town shops (shoe stores, mom n pop clothing stores) and a K Mart.  I realize times have changed, and with the advent of the internet shopping revolution there isn't anything you can't order 24 hours a day, anywhere in the word.  Prices now are so competative.

I quit watching QVC 10 years ago.  IOne vendor turned me off so bad I couldn't watch.  Everytime I thought it was safe to turn the Q on, there she was.  gradually, I just got out of the habit of watching them.  When I tried to watch a few times I couldn't bear it.  Spending 20 minutes on one darn product, and most thing can be bought else where.  The host just blabbered with a frenzy, made me nervous.  No I DO buy online.  I see pictures, get measurements and ca watch a video if I like.

My point is for me.  QVC really needs a product over haul.  They need to be unique again.  Quit the darn shipping fees they cling to, and concentrate on finding products no one else has.

Another thing, it doesn't say much for QVC when you see vendors go to the other channels, or they leave and come to QVC.  Makes me think , why??

I think their CS is still excellent, and delivery, although slow at times, is good.  Get new stuff.  I don't want to see 50 different mascaras, I want to see products that are so unique I would pay double to get them, hahah!

Esteemed Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

Exactly! Not only do they over-hype, but they also OVER-EXPOSE the products ad nauseum. How many times in a day can one watch the same Vionics magic marker demo, the Vitamix blender, Temptations bakeware, Argan oil, vacuum demos-- l could go on and on. They're like infomercials. Where's the variety of new product and fashion lines that used to hold our viewing interest??

QVC  programming really is a 24/7 informercial when you think about it ! Woman LOL