Honored Contributor

Re: Interesting new feature article about QVC.

I agree ... on most shows it's not about the product it is '" all "about the hostess!!

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

wildcat fan wrote:

Tres bien!

I was confused by that part where it says QVC is not targeting millennials.  If they aren't trying to appeal to that demographic, seems like they'd ditch a few of those younger ditzy hosts.

They may not be targeting them, but millennials are buying. DD is in her 20's, and wears LOGO to work all of the time. (She doesn't layer the pieces, unless it's a tank under a cardigan). She has to dress professionally, and she always looks good. 

colliegirls wrote: 

It is obvious that they are not targeting the under 30 crowd, just by looking at the clothes they present. 

colliegirls - IMHO some of the clothes we see look good ONLY on someone who is young! 

Thanks for posting the article gardensia! Personally I enjoy the entertainment aspect of watching the shows. Many times I'll just watch shows because I like the host or vendor, not because I'm interested in anything they're selling! I've been watching for about 10 years now. Smiley Happy

i buy my teen and  20 something daughter items from qvc. the most recent was a TS from susan graver......a very cute polka dot skort. she LOVED it and has worn it numerous times already. we are a 3 generation qvc family. LOL

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My daughter buys a few things, the Clarisonic, Philosophy, purses, etc. The only reason she knows is, I tell her if I think the TS or a deal is of interest to her.  This is isn't the place she goes to purchase most items. 

ETA: I do think the millennials are spending, mine certainly does. But until they start selling more brand specific names, they shop elsewhere. My daughter will hold out for a sale or free shipping and places with a liberal return policy.

Honored Contributor

@SunValley wrote:

The shoe on air supports this theory too (A262507). Nothing against the shoe as I know it will sell, but it seems the viewers are mainly 50 and older. I rarely hear a caller that is not north of 55. 

That's because the young ones are ordering online! DD has her phone app, and that's how she orders! Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@gardensla  Thanks for posting this article it provided some of the best comedy I have seen or read in years....ROFL!!!!!

Competing with Amazon & Nordstrom.....Really Q????  Get a gander at Amazon's results for 2nd quarter 2015 versus QVC's.....QVC measley 4% increase in revenue , while Amazon had a 23% increase.....ROFL!!!!!  

http://www.thestreet.com/story/13230515/1/3-biggest-takeaways-from-amazon-s-impressive-second-quarte...

As far as the "entertainment"  I don't want the host to be robotic nor just spurt out facts on merchandise (HSN has one of those hosts and she's downright unwatchable).....The best host is pleasant, engaging, and shows their personality and perhaps shares a releavant story, but MOST IMPORTANT they provide important product details, and demonstrate the product!!! I do NOT mean just the colors, which the hosts seem to be OBSESSED WITH!!! 

I find QVC a contradiction ---- if they are the high tech and social media giant they claim to be---why is it that when a popular items comes on air, the phone lines melt and the host has to urge customers to use their social media options---"orderline at QVC.com or use the QVC mobile app which is free" the hosts beg......so those old fashioned phone lines seem to still be pretty popular......And further urging QVC customers to CALL IN are the hosts that urge us to "get more details from your order operator", particularly when the hosts have spent their on air time jiggling and wiggling, goofing around, or share their entire time sharing their ancestry with us, so they didn't have time to product information.....Or how about "we don't have time to present this, but here's a complimentary item, call and talk to your order operator about adding that item to your purchase"...........

And NEWS FLASH QVC---the hosts are NOT my friends, they are SALES PEOPLE, I do not want to engage in a conversation with them on Facebook or Instagram....Neither do I care that Mary Jane in Delaware thinks the best vacation spot is the Bahamas, I'd rather see more unique or bigger variety of products or get merchandise details then hear the host go through responses to the Facebook Question Of The Show!!!!  And the hosts/vendors urging customers to "like them on Facebook" is downright annoying!!! Despite what QVC thinks, interacting with the hosts does NOT make me buy more.......QVC YOU DO OVERHYPE YOUR PRODUCTS....then you probably scratch your head wondering about your returns partly because your hosts/vendors FAILED to provide important information instead of adding more Facebook Friends to their host's pages....

As far as QVC attracting 30 year olds....ROFL....I think QVC's market is more of the mid 40 age group on up......and as far as people purchasing from QVC because they live living in a rural area---other online retailers ship to that location too---QVC does not have the only delivery system---explore your options....there are so many better deals out there with better prices and shipping too......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@luv-the-Q wrote:

Bigger is not always better.  They should work on improving the service in the countries they are already in.  It's like my cell phone!  I don't want to take pictures, email, shop, track my steps or anything else.  I just want a good signal so I can use the dang phone!

@luv-the-Q  Great analogy...Ain't that the truth....I have a basic cell phone that I use for calls or texting I do not want nor need to be connected to the internet 24/7---I only use Facebook to share photos and info with out of state relatives,  After being on a computer all day at work, I want time to be laptop or tablet free!!!  So what happens when I'm out with friends who have all the latest and greatest in technology smartphones and iphones---they ask ME with the BASIC cell phone to make a call because they can't get a darn signal----ROFL!!!!   Just like QVC I'm afraid ---QVC seems to concentrate on social media and entertainment yet they've limited their product selection to what we see locally or on infommercials or cheaper on other online sites!!!  They need to show more variety and more unique products on air instead of the same stuff which doesn't make me watch or buy ....

As far as QVC's international markets---folks they are not doing too well due to the exchange rate.....from QVC's 2nd quarter financial report....

QVC's international revenue decreased 11% to $592 million, adjusted OIBDA decreased 12% to $100 million and adjusted OIBDA margin declined 33 basis points in the second quarter, reflecting the aforementioned unfavorable exchange rate fluctuations.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Ibby114 wrote:

@brii wrote:

The whole entertainment and social media thing is a huge turn off to me.

Social media is just another avenue of promotion. 

It doesn't work for brii and it doesn't work for me---