Regular Contributor

I think when you remove some features others go up. I know when I lost multiple car discount other items went up. So maybe the liability goes up removing collision.

Something that should easily be explained.

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

I'm not sure I understand this correctly but I don't see anything that seems like fraud.  It sounds more like miscommunication.  Can't your agent explain to you why the premium amount remains the same?  After you spoke to the insurance company, did you contact your agent again?  If not, you should. 

Also - Insurance companies don't care about "potential buyers".  They care about current owners.  Lots of potential sales never happen.  (I hope this one does, but you never know!)

I moved last year, and because of that my car insurance company ended up owing me some money.  I received a refund check within days.  So I don't think you should jump to any conclusions about how long you would have to wait for a refund if you're entitled to one.  It's not fair to bash an insurance company and accuse them of something like insurance fraud when it's really not clear that they have done anything wrong.

@NYC Susan    @comedy clubber

That's how I interpreted it .... the OP needs to speak with her agent.  There is nothing about this that indicates "fraud".

Esteemed Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@comedy clubber,it might be a good idea to revisit your decision to drop full coverage.

A lot can happen in an instant and if you only have liability and say a tree fell on your car totaling it you won't have a car to drive or sell and no money to compensate for the loss of the car.

That crossed my mind also.  Good point!

Honored Contributor

For whatever reason she doesn't want to pay the $74.00. She may not have the money.

Esteemed Contributor
  • When you change your coverage the agent needs to rewrite the policy.  Most companies have a fee for that.  It could be that the to rewrite the policy is higher than the cost of full coverage for the 2 weeks.
Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

we changed policies 2 months ago(change was for better rates).

we wer charged by our old company for hours we had there policy to minute the new policy took over. At first they wanted a full monthly payment (which we fought royally), they agreed to make it half payment, nope wouldn’t do, finally got it down to $25.00 we took paid them and am on new policy. This took us 2 =3 months to get this all cleared up.

Frequent Contributor

I had worked in insurance most of my life. And worked in billing. What may be happening is that the company may not have the appropriate amount of time to endorse the existing policy, recalculate premiums and issue a bill in a timely matter. It really is all about timing.  We would always suggest paying that renewal bill, and the adjustment would be made on future billings. And if you are going to cancel the coverage on that car, it will be refunded back to you. It is not fraud, it's pretty much normal operating procudrue. I thinbk your agent would be able to explain this to you as well.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

Under these same circumstances, my insurance company would still charge me the $74, as they would not allow me to change my policy knowing I was trying to sell my car.   They would issue a refund from the date I notified them that the car was sold.   I’ve had the same insurance company since 1973.   

That's simply not true, unless there was a lien on the car that required comprehensive and collision be carried OR there was an umbrella policy in effect that required liability limits of a certain amount be carried.

The insurance company cannot tell you you can't change your policy.

Respected Contributor

YOU CANNOT THROW AROUND THE TERM "FRAUD".  YOU LEAVE YOURSELF OPEN TO LEGAL CONSEQUENCES!!!!  YOUR "VENTING" COULD GET YOU IN A WHOLE LOT OF TROUBLE.

Esteemed Contributor

Not sure where you are located but in our state there is an insurance commissioner and when we have EVER had a problem or even question, we called them.  We had only one incident long long ago...  Very icy roads.. school did  not cancel in time (I am a school teacher).  My hubby also going to work followed me out. We live on a small mountain and at the stop sign I stopped, he stopped but not in time.  He hit the back of my car. We share the same insurance company obviously.  They refused to cover the damage.  It was not intentional that he hit me.  If another car had done this their would have been no question.  (Actually I was lucky since if he had hit me harder I would have fallen off the embankment.)  In any case we called insurance commissioner (sp) the State of Maryland.  They looked into it.  We won not only the money to fix both cars but the ruling was changed, I am told.  Family members are no longer treatedthe way we were.