Honored Contributor

@pdlinda wrote:

@GenXmuse I used Instacart quite a few times during the pandemic. At first, everything was fine.  I always had large orders and ALWAYS gave shopper a big tip.

Then, everything began to slip.  Discrepancies in pricing, omitted items, substitutions made with no permission, and produce that was less than acceptable.

The shoppers were very inconsistent and some apparently did not grasp the directions I was giving. 

I always called Instacart CS and they made adjustments, sometimes having incorrect items re-delivered. 

At the end,it became almost like a "chore" getting my order correctly delivered so I gave up on Instacart completely.

I now hire a local worker where Iive to tote all the groceries upstairs for me and I do the marketing myself.

@pdlinda wrote:

@GenXmuse I used Instacart quite a few times during the pandemic. At first, everything was fine.  I always had large orders and ALWAYS gave shopper a big tip.

Then, everything began to slip.  Discrepancies in pricing, omitted items, substitutions made with no permission, and produce that was less than acceptable.

The shoppers were very inconsistent and some apparently did not grasp the directions I was giving. 

I always called Instacart CS and they made adjustments, sometimes having incorrect items re-delivered. 

At the end,it became almost like a "chore" getting my order correctly delivered so I gave up on Instacart completely.

I now hire a local worker where Iive to tote all the groceries upstairs for me and I do the marketing myself.

That's too bad. I had that problem with Walmart deliveries and stopped using them because of it. I'm not trying to talk anyone into using Instacart  just that my experience has been pretty hassle free with this particular service. 
Whole Foods through Amazon has been great too, they have their system down pat and hopefully Amazon Fresh will come to my area. 

Super Contributor

I use Instacart all the time, including from CostCo.

Instacart clearly states that the prices you pay thru them are higher than the prices for the same items in the store.  I had a CostCo Instacart order last week and the CostCo store receipt showed a total about $20-25 less than my online Instacart receipt.  That's the cost of using this service (plus the service fee and tips).

I have found that CostCo has the most efficient Instacart shoppers -- they are very fast, accurate and helpful.

I always "shop along" with my Instacart shopper and chat with them and add instructions, approve/disapprove replacements, etc.

I've used Instacart at several other supermarkets -- some are better than others, and some don't have up-to-date online inventories so a lot of requested items don't get filled.

I did have a problem with a new supermarket that I tried.  Everything looked good, but when my order was delivered the $40 worth of short ribs was missing from the order.  This was the first time I ever had missing items.  Instacart did refund the money but I would never use that store again.  Smaller errors from other stores were corrected by Instacart fairly easily, altho, in one case, I had to provide a photo of the item in question (they made me feel like I was lying!).

All in all, using Instacart is expensive, but I feel the service has been invaluable to me and is worth the extra $.

As far as Whole Foods, I've been using the Whole Foods delivery service thru Prime for about 3 years.  Unfortunately, in my area, Amazon recently opened a huge distribution center, and the Whole Foods orders are no longer filled from the local store, but from the distribution center which does not carry the kinds of items I loved getting from the local store -- bakery breads, butcher shop meats, specialty cheeses, etc.  This really ruined a great service for me

Honored Contributor

I woiuld NEVER have a large order delivered. You're destined for mistakes. Just mask up and go shop yourself. Costco is THE safest place to shop right now. I go there all the time! I don't understand the OP's frustration since the refunded her money. 

"Pure Michigan"
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

I woiuld NEVER have a large order delivered. You're destined for mistakes. Just mask up and go shop yourself. Costco is THE safest place to shop right now. I go there all the time! I don't understand the OP's frustration since the refunded her money. 

@ID2  Ours is one of the most unsafe now because a portion of the people who shop there are disregarding all the ways to stay safe and are big spreaders. We will stay away thank you.

Super Contributor

@ID2 wrote:
Just mask up and go shop yourself. 

It's easy to say this if one is physically able and has access to transportation.

I have bad knees and do not own a car.  I have used these shopping services well before the pandemic.  They have been a lifesaver.

Honored Contributor

I refuse to go back to supermarkets.   Never enjoyed shopping in them. I decided to stay with Instacart.  I have the yearly membership.  I used to be with Amazon Fresh for years.   I think when they first offered about 5 years ago. Way before other people discovered them during the pandemic.  Then I couldn't use them, with all the people ordering from them.  Couldn't even find a slot to order.  Eventually I did, but I much prefer the selections of foods, as one of my stores given to me from instacart was Wegmans, which is a huge store...

I will never forget my worse experience in any supermarket.  I went to one (Weis supermarket) during the height of the pandemic, when I couldn't order from Amazon.  It was near riot, with police cars in the front & inside the store. stripped bare shelves.  I remember I was too late for any bread.  I had to buy rolls.   The markets are back to normal, I don't want to bother anymore.  Plus it's convenience as I work from home & don't have time to to the stores.

Honored Contributor

I have been using Instacart since Februrary.  I get a delivery every Friday from a local market (Metropolitan Market) and a couple of orders a month from Costco.  Instacart is great and quick to solve any problems and they maintain a customer is always right attitude.  

Honored Contributor

It's very likely my problem, but I can't make heads or tails of what actually happened or what the complaint is.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

I have used Instacart a few times, especially at the beginning of this.  I found that both with Costco and the grocery store the items they don't have I am not charged for on the receipt. 

There is definitely a mark-up with Instacart.  You pay through the nose for the service but well worth it if you don't want to take the risk.  But IMO if the virus were so rampant in the stores and you have to avoid going in so as not to get sick all of the employees would be sick or dead.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Instacart - Costco

[ Edited ]

@kivah 

I dont think the items on the Instacart App are small---Now I havent used it for Costco, but Ive used it for HEB grocery store, Petco, and CVS.....If items are too small perhaps a tablet or laptop would be a better device to use

I only had a problem once and I clicked HELP and then Problem with your order and then the green box GET  HELP and used CHAT and the situation  was resolved IMMEDIATELY..... If there were substitutions or replacements it takes a couple days to adjust and apply the final total and the credit they gave you....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”