Esteemed Contributor

Two days ago, I received my large order from Costco - delivered by Instacart. The total came up to almost $500. After the delivery guy put all my items in the kitchen and left, I realized I was missing the large pack of Bounty Towels and Case of Water. I emailed Instacart and they credited me for $32. I was shocked that they didn't credit me - or note on my order - that these items were missing.

The delivery guy handed me the receipt which was more than $100. less than shown on-line. I used my little calculator and totalled the receipt and it was right. Then, I pulled up my order on instacart and that was correct. 

I didn't match the recipt to the on-line order - as I was too tired by then.

I emailed instacart about why the different totals - and they ignored me.

Instacart uses an app - with pics of the items that are tiny - and hard to see. It's like ur communicating with an invisible person.

Has anyone had this type of problem with instacart - particularly thru Costco?

Honored Contributor

@kivah    I read complaints about Instacart all the time.  Try googling them for recent information.  They've pulled some slick tricks.  I've never used them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I've had missing items but Instacart refunded me when I reported the problem which you can do through the app. Glad you caught it though. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Instacart - Costco

[ Edited ]

@kivah  i'm afraid I've never ordered from Costco through instacart.  I only order from Wegmans & Giants. & once from Aldi.  I've never seen  discrepancies on the total on my receipt.  

I've had minor problems with (once) a shopper accidentally giving me another persons' bag.  I called about that right away.  They said they would notify the person about the bag & told me to keep what was in the bag.  (eggs & a salad)  and would not charge me. 

I always request the paper receipt from the shopper and match it with the receipt online.  

the phone number for instacart Customer Service is 1 888 246-7822 and email is: help@instacart.com   I get fast direct service and so far, they been very good.

By the way, you have to include the tip in the total.  That's why the total would look different.

Esteemed Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

I've had missing items but Instacart refunded me when I reported the problem which you can do through the app. Glad you caught it though. 

Why should u have to report it - they should deduct the items not delivered. They did that in the past. I'll guarantee u that many people never notice the missing items or check their order. So - they get ripped off.

Honored Contributor

Does not sound like anything I want to do😳

Esteemed Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@kivah  i'm afraid I've never ordered from Costco through instacart.  I only order from Wegmans & Giants. & once from Aldi.  I've never seen  discrepancies on the total on my receipt.  

I've had minor problems with (once) a shopper accidentally giving me another persons' bag.  I called about that right away.  They said they would notify the person about the bag & told me to keep what was in the bag.  (eggs & a salad)  and would not charge me. 

I always request the paper receipt from the shopper and match it with the receipt online.  

the phone number for instacart Customer Service is 1 888 246-7822 and email is: help@instacart.com   I get fast direct service and so far, they been very good.

By the way, you have to include the tip in the total.  That's why the total would look different.

There was a tip included of $23 -- and I gave him an additional $20 when he was in my house. Tomorrow when I have a little more energy,I'll check it out. Thx 

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Does not sound like anything I want to do😳

I'm 80 yrs young -- still in good shape --- but I could never have gone to Costco and bought so many items.Sometimes, just pushing the cart tires me. I've ordered from Costco/Instacart around 5 other times and never had a problem. Now I have enough food for 2 or 3 months.

Honored Contributor

How did they ignore you? You got your money back. They may not even be aware of the problem because the shopper could have forgotten it, left it in the car by accident, left it at the store. Mistakes  happen and it's still (at least for me) preferable to doing a large shopping trip myself and I even make mistakes when I do sometimes. I'm just thankful to have this service available now. Gotta take the bad with the good if you can't do it yourself. 

Trusted Contributor

@GenXmuse I used Instacart quite a few times during the pandemic. At first, everything was fine.  I always had large orders and ALWAYS gave shopper a big tip.

Then, everything began to slip.  Discrepancies in pricing, omitted items, substitutions made with no permission, and produce that was less than acceptable.

The shoppers were very inconsistent and some apparently did not grasp the directions I was giving. 

I always called Instacart CS and they made adjustments, sometimes having incorrect items re-delivered. 

At the end,it became almost like a "chore" getting my order correctly delivered so I gave up on Instacart completely.

I now hire a local worker where Iive to tote all the groceries upstairs for me and I do the marketing myself.