Respected Contributor

Re: Input Please - Brief Company Expected

Are you talking a few hours? Or days? If it's for a very short time, I would just have various sandwich options, chips and drinks.  I would not encourage a time consuming jigsaw puzzle activity. I would just visit with them.  

Respected Contributor

@santorini wrote:

Are you talking a few hours? Or days? If it's for a very short time, I would just have various sandwich options, chips and drinks.  I would not encourage a time consuming jigsaw puzzle activity. I would just visit with them.  

I'm with you on the jigsaw puzzles. if they are meeting

they most likely want to relax and visit with the others. 

No need to try to get them to do a puzzle or take a tour. 

Respected Contributor

My suggestion would be a large charcuterie board with many different options. You pick and choose. 

Honored Contributor

No one should expect you to be the local deli with multiple choices thats absurd.  Nor should any expect a juice bar.  Just because there are folks with food problems they should not expect anyone to to know about it and have their "special" items on hand.  Those folks usually take their special diet items with them.

Something like chili and cornbread and a small cootie (veggie, meat cracker, etc) board, with water, tea and coffee.

I would nex the jigsaw puzzle idea.

(cootie board is my translation for the silly new buzz name of the veggie & cheese trays.)  Talk about putting on false airs.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

If you are the starting and ending point, I wouldn't feel the need to entertain them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ThinkingOutLoud  About your first idea of snacks, I did that once for two couples who were traveling and stopped off they said "to use your bathroom and spend a little time",  (2 hours), of which I had a several-days notice. 

I served them healthy snacks similar to what you are talking about .  I found out months later, they had stopped off at a restaurant in my area, after leaving my house, because they were starved and thought they would be getting more than snacks, which I heard later they considered "a child's healthy treat."  One of the men, a former astronaut; one a retired marine; one lady, a housewife and the other lady was a retired school administrator.  I feel that it is hard to guess what people want, but just giving you my experience in the "kiddy snack" arena.  If they would have time for a jigsaw puzzle, they would have time for more than yogurt and apple treats, etc.  They may have traveled for a good while and might be hungry. 

Also, it might be a good idea to let someone in their party know ahead of time what type food you will have available in order for them to do, as my guests did, but before their arrival, stopping off in a restaurant for dinner/breakfast/lunch, if they need to.

Honored Contributor

How long will it have been since those people ate? And how long will they have to go until they eat again?  If a long time, or ususal time between meals, they might want something a bit more substantial. I'd go the crock pot route too.

Honored Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

I'm the meet up point for people going in different directions next week, some of whom I've never met (friend of relative, relative of friend). I'd like something to offer to eat that's not fussy, sticky, crumby or waits to be cooked since they'll want to get on their way once everyone arrives. I also wonder about having something for them to do that isn't time-constrained. Any ideas welcome! tia

Wednesday am:

eat - bananas, yogurt, herbal tea

do - jigsaw puzzle?, quick tour of area?

Sunday evening:

eat - granola bars?, crackers?, herbal tea

do - jigsaw puzzle?, quick tour of area?

@ThinkingOutLoud Some you've never met, you are a meet-up point, no way should they expect a meal from you.  They are traveling and responsible for their meals, certainly not you.

Cheese, crackers, fruit, a few beverages and maybe some cookies or bars ought to do it. Tea, coffee and bottled water.  How rude it would be to expect a meal from you. My take on it!  Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

I think posters could be more helpful if we had more information. How many people? Will they be arriving throughout the day, a few at a time, or a morning group and afternoon group.? What sort of weather, northern or southern?

Honored Contributor

Surely travelers meeting up at someone's house wouldn't expect a meal from them would they?  I mean really traveling people would know to eat. Or should.  Or offer to take the person out for a meal where they are meeting up.